Keeping usb modem connected during standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loafer

Hello,

I've got a problem with getting logged on to my adsl broadband service. I can only get logged in once in awhile, which is really frustating.
Until i can sort this out, I want to stay logged on all the time and leave the computer on, but be able to let it go into standby at night- but at the moment when it comes out of standby the modem has powered down and I have to log on again.
I'm running Win2000 and have changed the setting in Device Manager by unchecking the box about allowing windows to power down the device, is this all I need to do ?

I daren't try it, as this is the first time i've been able to get on the internet in 3 days !!! And, with the xmas break I can't imagine having no internet - I'd have to talk to my in-laws for an extended period of time.....please save me from this

Any help much appreciated, and if i don't respond then you know someone has turned the computer off ( i.e. probably my partner because she so inconsiderately wants to sleep) and I can't reconnect.

It really depends on how much the modem relies on the computer. It may be that it needs constant taking care of by the CPU and putting the comp on standby is not an option.

You can try and see what happens when you uncheck the power down checkboxes. Don't let Windows power down the USB controller either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back