Key BlackBerry 10 developers leave to launch new design company

Shawn Knight

Staff member

top blackberry blackberry blackberry 10 developers design company

More than half a dozen BlackBerry 10 developers have reportedly left the company to form a new design group called Topp. The employees in question were brought on when BlackBerry purchased their previous employer, The Astonishing Tribe (TAT), in 2010.

According to the Topp crew, they became the key players responsible for designing and developing BlackBerry 10 during their stint with the Canadian handset maker. While at TAT, each member was a design and technology lead in their department. Collectively, they have delivered projects for a range of global clients including Samsung, Google, Sony Ericsson, Nokia, Disney, and PayPal, just to name a few.

Any way you slice it, the news isn’t good for BlackBerry users. All of the company’s recent problems aside, it’s just never a good thing when seven of your top developers bail. It’s unclear exactly when the talent left meaning this could already be old news for the company. If they left all at once recently, however, it could be a serious blow.

It’s also worth pointing out that TAT’s founder left the company a year ago. He doesn’t appear to be part of the new venture, however.

As for what’s next at Topp, we don’t really know. The company’s website says they are a digital design studio based in Sweden that crafts new products and breathes life into innovative ideas using design, prototyping and technology. Segments they specialize in include mobile, automotive, consumer electronics, home appliances and retail experiences.

Permalink to story.

I hope that the top management of BB is now seriously considering switching to either android or windows phone ecosystem, or considering itself to be bought by ANY interested buyer.
the longer BB waits, the more money it will bleed.

I hope that the top management of BB is now seriously considering switching to either android or windows phone ecosystem, or considering itself to be bought by ANY interested buyer.
the longer BB waits, the more money it will bleed.

Nobody wants them for anything but patents. Their hardware has always been a mixed bag - sometimes great, sometimes crappy (and usually a mixture of both). They refused to adapt to the rise of media-centric smartphones until it was far too late, and just like Microsoft they *still* failed to understand what makes a great modern UI. Hopefully they'll still be decent smartphones with portrait keyboards around in a few years. I've tried landscape sliders and simply cannot make them work for me. I can't use touchscreens at all.

Hopefully this time the team won't use archaic standards like the FAT32 file system.

Back