Keyboard and mouse stop working AND STOP 0X0000007B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keyboard and mouse stop working

Hi, I'm having some major problems with my Dell Dimension 8400 which runs on Windows XP.
It all started with some files found and replaced during chkdsk.
My PC was working fine yesterday, but today when I turned it on the problem started.
At first, everything is okay. Then, after the initial Windows page the screen goes black and a gray bar appears at the bottom. At this point, the keyboard and mouse shut off (lights go off) and stop working. Once the gray bar has finished loading (1-2 seconds), windows continues to start as usual. The only problem is when I get to the log in screen (where I have multiple user accounts) I cannot choose one to log on with because the keyboard and mouse do not work. I have tried unplugging them and putting them in the USB slot instead but to no avail. I cannot run safemode or anything because the same login screen comes up.
I tried hitting F12 initially and ran hard drive diagnostics which gave me the alarming result:
"Drive 0: ST3160023AS - FAIL - Return Code 7
Drive 2: No device"
Drive 4...my CD drive...diagnostics not supported
Drive 5...my DVD drive...diagnostics not supported

Any Suggestions? Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Please follow the steps here for the Stop 0x0000007B error: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

As you will note, one cause can be a boot sector virus.

Return Code 7 can indicate hard drive failure. Drive 0 is the hard drive.

As for CHKDSK replacing files and causing this problem, it's not likely. Even IF you check both options- fix file system errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, it didn't 'cause' the problem, it just made it more evident.

Backup everything you do not want to lose and consider replacing the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back