TechSpot

Keyboard causing computer to freeze on boot

By treetops
May 15, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. When I boot my computer goes past the first screen, bios. Then it goes to a black screen with a blinking under score in the top left corner. I googled and saw all sorts of recommendations. The first one from windows 7 staff tells a customer to buy a new hard drive. But I decided to try the simple thing first, unplugging all my USB devices. And it worked. Through trial and error I found out it is the keyboard. It work fine if I plug it in after boot. I switched the usb slot the keyboard is plugged into and it still happens.

How do I solve this other then getting a new keyboard? Why does this happen? Could this possibly be the reason my computer is getting hotter then normal?

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

Your keyboard or cord could be damaged and sending constant signals to the PC. Try with another keyboard to see if that's the problem.

3. compfixing

compfixing TS Rookie Posts: 43

Test that keyboard on a diff PC, if it happens again, u gotta get a new keyboard, they are cheap.

4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

Keyboards range in price from $5 to $500+. :D

5. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,686   +60

It appears my far right insert key was stuck, seems like that was the culprit. I'm gonna reboot once more to make sure.

Yep that was it, took it out it keeps sticking. doh!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.