Keyboard driver can't start after Windows loads

Hello, I recently reinstalled Windows XP sp3 on a friend's computer and every time the Windows gets loaded up the keyboard will stop working. I went into device manager and saw an issue with the keyboard driver stating that it could not start. If I either try updating the driver with the same driver or uninstalling and reinstalling the driver the keyboard will work until the system reboots. Keyboard works in BIOS and tried a Known Good keyboard and has the same issues. The windows CD was used to install windows on a different system, my friend has a valid product key for Windows XP for each system just one disk, and that system has no issues. The OSRIs were needed due to virus issues on each system and had both HDs wipped clean with long formats and a HD wiping software. The trouble system is a generic local built system with a Gigabyte GA K8N Pro SLI motherboard.

Is this a USB keyboard? If so, after the Windows install, did you install all the chipset, LAN, etc. drivers?

The keyboard is a PS/2 keyboard. The only drivers I did not install was for an extra wireless NIC that is connected to the system but not being used or being planned on being used.

Your PS/2 keyboard should work with Windows drivers without having to install any other drivers. I can only think that somehow the Windows installation did not go correctly for some reason.

Your PS/2 keyboard should work with Windows drivers without having to install any other drivers. I can only think that somehow the Windows installation did not go correctly for some reason.
I agree with mailpup. Something is corrupt with your current Windows install which is why
> It works in BIOS (BIOS controls the keyboard before Windows starts)
> After driver reinstall (is probably cleaning something up on the driver stack)

That said... you might try
> Try booting into SAFE mode. If it still fails in safe mode, the install must be really screwed and you're probably best to just reinstall again

> Just for the heck of it.. Check your BIOS. If there's an option to support USB Legacy then DISABLE it. While i think this usually might interfere with USB keyboards on some computers, should be easy to at least try / can't hurt

btw.. did the keyboard work immediately after the last install? did it stop working sometime after it? like during updates? or ????

Back