Keyboard not detected on Dell Dimension 2400

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinscriba

Hey. My dad turned on the computer today to find that the keyboard was unresponsive. There was no keyboard detected through the Control Panel. The only thing I have about this so far is that when I unplug the keyboard and plug it back in, all three lights (NumLock, CapsLock and ScrollLock) light up before shutting off. Then, the hardware is still not detected.

I'm not good with computers, but I believe if the keyboard has a driver, it should be an HID (Human Interface Device). I did notice that one of the HID's in the Device Manager has no driver. Is it a driver problem or could it be from something else?

Thanks.

First thing to try is another keyboard of any make... Is this the PS/2 keyboard or the USB.
And if you have canned air, blow out the socket... sometimes just enough lint, dirt,dust, and crud gets in the wrong spot and prevent a good connection.
But the Dimension 2400 has a fairly fragile motherboard and power supply... if you overdrive that computer, you can cause the system board to fail.
Also, check to see if any of the small barrel-like devices sticking up from the motherboard are puffy or leaking a brown or rust colored stuff... or have rounded tops... that could mean the system board is toast.

Thanks. I tried a simple restart to see if that works and it did. However, I'll try out what you were telling me. I did clean out the interior of the tower off a lot of dust before the problem arose and that may have gotten into the socket.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back