TechSpot

Kickstarter campaign earns over $120,000, gets canceled a year later

By Shawn Knight
Jul 26, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. It was bound to happen sooner or later – an overwhelmingly successful Kickstarter campaign gets funded, the creator spends all of the money then cancels the project, leaving investors high and dry. That’s exactly what happened with a board game...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,517   +2,060

I'm only surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often.

3. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

And people get mad that game developers have to go through publishers or venture capital funds. Kickstarter is great, but it is also an opportunity to prove P.T. Barnum's maxim with fail, "A sucker is born every minute."

Wendig0 likes this.
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,754   +1,107

There are lots of people who try to make a business out of their dream, but they fail because they're better at dreaming than at business. I think something like 1 in 4 restaurants fail in the first year. It is a little unusual for kickstarter though because I think you need a business plan before you can be eligible for donations and that plan is reviewed by the people who run the site.

5. Many people have good ideas however taking the idea to reality can be challenging. Even with small projects can get out of hand. I have found that it is best to get something basic going, have small successes and then build to something better. The KISS theory.

6. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Maniac Posts: 350   +112

Personally, I don't think the guy has any obligation to refund the Kickstarter backers whatsoever. Whenever you invest money into a new business or idea, there's a risk that it could all-out fail. The Kickstarter funders knew this, and they took that risk when they invested money.

The guys that invested $10 probably won't care a whole lot, and those who invested huge sums of cash knew what they were getting into, and should cop it on the chin. I think the poor guy should get back to his life, and not have to deal with the huge debt that will plague his life for years otherwise.

ThanosPAS, Timonius and davislane1 like this.
  7. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106   +97

I tend to expect this sort of thing from everyone that asks for money. Kickstarter has the potential to be a breeding ground for scam artists looking to make a quick buck (or in many cases a whole year's salary), but I also think there are countless people that kickstarter has legitimately helped to become successful, including some local talent in my own hometown.

SalaSSin likes this.
  8. What does Gene Simmons have to do with this? Then again it wouldn't surprise me. lol

9. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,564   +2,373

KISS = Keep It Simple, Stupid

Wendig0 likes this.
  10. OWNED! lmao well played brah

11. We all know that. It was a joke that you obviously didn't get.

SalaSSin likes this.
  12. People donated money for this? I'm puzzled. If that pic at the top has ANYTHING to do with the game, it looks to be a Monopoly knock-off.
    A. How can you possibly fail to produce?
    B. Where is the appeal? Sure, (opinion opinion). Still, explain?

Also, Kickstarter should live or die by its TOTAL success. Unfortunately, one negative result amongst a sea of positive or non-funded results is probably enough to gather a lion's share of the attention(I'm looking at you 'The Media').
    I urge people to consider all angles before rushing to judgment.

13. ThanosPAS

ThanosPAS TS Enthusiast Posts: 40   +9

Absolutely right. That's business.

Wendig0 likes this.
  14. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

Ha, I like how he used the funds to move his life to another city. I wonder if that was listed on the Kickstarter campaign?

15. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,564   +2,373

When a post is authored by a guest account and "j/k" isn't affixed to the end of the message, all assumption of innocence is suspended since the vast majority of guests tend to be quite serious regardless of how ludicrous their postings may be.