Kill Box can't delete it!

I have a folder on my desktop, it contained a handful of files and movies. I tried to delete it, but claimed that it was a windows system folder and could not be deleted.
So I ran some antivirus programs and such, but it didn't detect any issues. I then ran killbox.exe and attempted to delete it. it ran, stated that it deleted it. But then the folder would pop right back up on my desktop.
Any suggestions?
BTW, I deleted all the files in the folder, I even have hidden file checked to "display," however it appears empty, but has a size of 32 kb with 7 folder and six files...
I am trying killbox again to replace with dummy on reboot, fingers crossed...

Attached is the HJT log...
It may lend a clue, or not...

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    7.1 KB · Views: 1
Have you tried deleting the folder in safe mode?

Or, right click on the dektop and create a new folder, then drag and drop the problem folder into the new folder and then try to delete the new folder.

Or follow this:

The folders or files or even an entire partition could be restricted in the previous instalation by any user, so now those restrictions keep in there for even the administrator. I've had that problem three days ago, I couldn't modify those restrictions to various folders. Well, Win XP installs itself with the "Use simple file sharing" option in the explorer-->tools-->folder options-->view, menu. Just deselect it, and modify the properties of any folder, archive or partition you could not access:
1- right-click the object and select properties
2- go to the security menu and then click the "Advanced" button.
3- Make sure your user account stay in the "Owner" menu. Then click "Ok" and again "Ok".
4- Repeat Step 1
5- Go again to de "Security" menu and add your user account name in the "Group or User names" field, and select "Full control" on the field below.
6- Press "Ok" and that's all.

Unlocker works, temporarily...

I found the Unlocker utility online and it lets me know what programs are keeping me from deleting the folder.
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE is always accessing the folder
The "Path locked" is
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\private\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
I was able to move this folder to My Documents from Desktop; but everytime The Unlocker utility cuts it free from the locked path and deletes it, the folder reappears upon reboot.
I tried the afore mentioned suggestion but I feel that it is much deeper than that, could there be a file elsewhere that needs to be sought out and deleted that is the parent file redeposting this folder.
BTW, after I thought that the folder was gone, I ran Avira, MBAM and Ccleaner. All came up empty handed.

This microsoft guide goes as deep as you can to take ownership of the file in question, you should then be able to delete it. Deleting your temporary internet files may also help. As this is not a system file you are trying to delete it cannot be linked with anything else as far as I know.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

got it...

Somehow, in internet options, the folder that saves my Temporary Internet Files became changed to the folder that I was trying to delete.
Fixed this to a different location and then it worked.

Glad to here you solved the problem but that kind of behaviour suggests a virus. As you have already run scans for malware keep a look out for any unusual behaviour, some malware can be hard to detect. A visit to the malware forum would be advised if you notice anything odd happening.

Back