Kindle ebook sales outpace physical copies at Amazon UK

By Matthew
Aug 7, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Two years after the Kindle's UK launch, Amazon's digital book sales have outpaced all physical sales. UK readers were introduced to the Kindle in August 2010 and by May of the following year, ebooks were outselling hardcovers in the region…

Read more
  2. I am intrigued by the sentence "Amazon.co.uk has sold 114 Kindle books for every 100 print books so far in 2012". Amazed, even, to witness this.

I wonder if the digital phenomenon has taken non-readers into reading just because of the format, or if there was a transition from physical to digital by old time readers.

I cannot even think of reading a book in an e-reader, so I really wonder who are these (human) readers...

(I just noticed how many times I wrote the word "reader". Sorry, readers!)
  3. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Guess I'm old skool, then. I prefer real books and mags over digital versions any day.
  4. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I actually read the first 2 books of Song of Ice and Fire on my tablet, and it wasn't that bad.

But if I had to buy a book, I'd still buy the physical copy. Now if e-books became significantly cheaper than physical books, I might start buying those.

But if they cost as much if not more, well, nobody can revoke my rights to read a physical book. Maybe except the fire department.
  5. GJonesfiction

GJonesfiction Newcomer, in training

This has certainly played out with my young adult books. For every paperback copy sold on amazon at least 80 kindle copies have been downloaded. The price has a large impact with a £6 saving on the ebook, but also the novelty, ease and immediate access afforded by the ebook reader.

I might be an I.T. officer and love my laptop and kindle but I still love to browse in a book store though. My latest visit resulted in the purchase of four paperbacks! I find it much easier to browse for new authors and series in a bookstore then follow online with other titles in the series. I hope we don't lose all bookstores. They are also invaluable for their support to authors. Waterstones have been great with me, hosting two booksignings.
  6. I guess this is a sign of the times, though I still read good old paper based books. We have a used book store a block away with books for $2 - $3, it can't be beat.
  7. killeriii

killeriii TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

How can publishers say they are loosing money to the likes of Google Library in the face of sales like this?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.