TechSpot

Kinect does Minority Report interface, Air Guitar prototype

By Emil
Dec 10, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Many Kinect motion controller hacks have teased a Minority Report interface, but all of them have only shown that it could be possible with a bit more work. Until now: not only is it possible, but it's been done. The Robot Locomotion Group and Learning Intelligent Systems teams at MIT have developed a system that uses the Kinect drivers for Linux to detect all ten of your fingers, along with your palms, so that you can use them to interact with a display.

Read the whole story

2. This technology is great, cant wait till operating systems are built to incorporate this kind of thing, hope for a redesigned navigation/file-browsing system to marry up to this soon

3. Good on Microsoft for seeing the potential and buying another companies ideas and innovations and getting it out to the public. It would be nice to see Microsoft come up with some good ideas on their own a little more often though.

Kinnect is cool technology but I think it is premature for a great many uses. The lag time is often over a 1/4 of a second for one thing. Once they get that down to 1/100 th of a second then I think it will really have the potential to move beyond the gimmicky realm.

4. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 920   +22

You think Kinect is going to work with an OS. They don't quite have the voice control bugs ironed out. I tried it on Vista and it was disgusting.

5. Johny47

Johny47 TS Rookie Posts: 157

This is so cool and sci fi(or not) very soon that minority report style evidence board it looked like might not be that far away for people/places like NSA or FBI etc =P

6. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

Like i said
    PC's - Dos Xbox - Nada :p

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.