King of the Big Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Review

These devices are just too big and bulky for me to take seriously and even more so if you decide to carry it in a pouch. Even a 5" screen smartphone too big for my liking. I have a 4.3" phone in a case and that's as big and heavy as I wanna go.

The phone would be recognized before the person using it. Put an end to the rumors you are talking to yourself. :)

If my contract was up this would be the phone I would get. Using the Note 2 and love it.

One hell of a gorgeous device, wish I went for this over the S4. For traveling and being abroad, perfect phone. If you want a smaller device, S4 mini or HTC One mini are the ones to go with.

It looks more of a tablet replacement than a smartphone replacement cause of it's size. I have a 4.7 inch phone and it's quite big but I got used to it. I can't see myself getting used to a 5.7 inch screen even if I could afford it.

These devices are just too big and bulky for me to take seriously and even more so if you decide to carry it in a pouch. Even a 5" screen smartphone too big for my liking. I have a 4.3" phone in a case and that's as big and heavy as I wanna go.
Yeah it is way too big for my liking.

I wonder if the rumor about Samsung applying that "leather-like" material to their PCs is true.

Hi Tim, you say the note 3 isn't the greatest smartphone money can buy, in my opinion there isn't a phone that comes close. However I would like to know in your opinion what is the greatest smartphone money can buy?

I had an S3 and my wife got an S4 to show me up. Then she gets worried that my job might upgrade me to an S4 so she gets herself a Note 3 a couple months ago and gives me her hand-me-down S4.

Hi Tim, you say the note 3 isn't the greatest smartphone money can buy, in my opinion there isn't a phone that comes close. However I would like to know in your opinion what is the greatest smartphone money can buy?

I'd prefer the LG G2 or Nexus 5 to be honest

Tim Schiesser, thank you for this review.

Please make a detailed (video) comparison of both note 3 variants snapdragon 800 vs. exynos 5420,in different application opening, like games, videos,pictures,zip files etc. Also make a camera comparison between the camera, sound and video performance of the two variants.

I have seen Chinese website that have compared the both variants, the exynos version was in fact a bit faster, but I could not understand what they were saying, so it would be great if you compare them both.

I have also noticed that there is also a tiny difference between the two note 3 variants, so please look into it

I can send you a link of the Chinese website videos.

Thank you.

I don't talk on the phone all that much. I do like to pull up a spreadsheet sitting on a plane. Or answering emails at the mall. I also like to take notes during a meeting. Or sketch when things get boring. Compare to phones to phones. This is something else and it just works.

Tim Schiesser, thank you for this review.

Please make a detailed (video) comparison of both note 3 variants snapdragon 800 vs. exynos 5420,in different application opening, like games, videos,pictures,zip files etc. Also make a camera comparison between the camera, sound and video performance of the two variants.

I have seen Chinese website that have compared the both variants, the exynos version was in fact a bit faster, but I could not understand what they were saying, so it would be great if you compare them both.

I have also noticed that there is also a tiny difference between the two note 3 variants, so please look into it

I can send you a link of the Chinese website videos.

Thank you.

I would have liked to, but I currently don't have a stable internet connection to upload videos :(

I just got the Note 3 myself and I have to say I would have scored it a bit higher than Tim has. The hardware is absolutely amazing and the display is beautiful, even if it doesn't use a traditional RGB stripe (it's not really pentile either, but something completely different). I also love the faux-leather design on the back and most ppl I've shown this phone to love that as well. A metal design would be preferred of course, but I think the faux-leather back feels much better than the smooth plastic used on other phones like the GS4 and G2. It doesn't feel cheap at all to me. Quite the contrary actually.

I only have a few issues with the Note 3 so far and they are all software related. I noticed a few annoying bugs here and there with some of the software, but I'm sure these will get ironed out in future updates. Another thing I don't like is the sheer amount of bloat Samsung includes on the device, which is staggering. There are a few gems here and there, but for the most part Google already has a better solution for every single app Samsung includes. Samsung's bloat chews up a lot of resources as well, which is why rooting the Note 3 and removing it is a good idea. I've also experienced some wi-fi issues with the Note 3. It tends to disconnect and display a message about the wi-fi connection being unstable, however other devices are connected to the same access point with no issues. I believe this is another software bug because it seems to be a widespread issue.

Other than these issues (which are fixable), I think the Note 3 is amazing. In my opinion it's the best smartphone available right now, although there is some stiff competition from LG and HTC. Apple's iPhone 5s is excellent as well, but I believe it appeals to a different crowd.

Back