King of the Big Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Review

By Julio Franco
Dec 27, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,203   +521

These devices are just too big and bulky for me to take seriously and even more so if you decide to carry it in a pouch. Even a 5" screen smartphone too big for my liking. I have a 4.3" phone in a case and that's as big and heavy as I wanna go.
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,071   +1,181

The phone would be recognized before the person using it. Put an end to the rumors you are talking to yourself. :)
  3. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,135   +276 Staff Member

If my contract was up this would be the phone I would get. Using the Note 2 and love it.
  4. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 874   +80

One hell of a gorgeous device, wish I went for this over the S4. For traveling and being abroad, perfect phone. If you want a smaller device, S4 mini or HTC One mini are the ones to go with.
  5. Nobina

Nobina TechSpot Booster Posts: 212   +40

It looks more of a tablet replacement than a smartphone replacement cause of it's size. I have a 4.7 inch phone and it's quite big but I got used to it. I can't see myself getting used to a 5.7 inch screen even if I could afford it.
  6. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,108   +728

Yeah it is way too big for my liking.

I wonder if the rumor about Samsung applying that "leather-like" material to their PCs is true.
  7. Screenbyte

Screenbyte Newcomer, in training

Hi Tim, you say the note 3 isn't the greatest smartphone money can buy, in my opinion there isn't a phone that comes close. However I would like to know in your opinion what is the greatest smartphone money can buy?
  8. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,199   +228

I had an S3 and my wife got an S4 to show me up. Then she gets worried that my job might upgrade me to an S4 so she gets herself a Note 3 a couple months ago and gives me her hand-me-down S4.
  9. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,108   +728

Lucky!
  10. Scorpus

Scorpus TechSpot Staff Posts: 403   +53 Staff Member

I'd prefer the LG G2 or Nexus 5 to be honest
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  11. Tim Schiesser, thank you for this review.

Please make a detailed (video) comparison of both note 3 variants snapdragon 800 vs. exynos 5420,in different application opening, like games, videos,pictures,zip files etc. Also make a camera comparison between the camera, sound and video performance of the two variants.

I have seen Chinese website that have compared the both variants, the exynos version was in fact a bit faster, but I could not understand what they were saying, so it would be great if you compare them both.

I have also noticed that there is also a tiny difference between the two note 3 variants, so please look into it

I can send you a link of the Chinese website videos.

Thank you.
  12. Ghost410

Ghost410 Newcomer, in training

I don't talk on the phone all that much. I do like to pull up a spreadsheet sitting on a plane. Or answering emails at the mall. I also like to take notes during a meeting. Or sketch when things get boring. Compare to phones to phones. This is something else and it just works.

13. Scorpus

Scorpus TechSpot Staff Posts: 403   +53 Staff Member

I would have liked to, but I currently don't have a stable internet connection to upload videos :(
  14. freexa

freexa Newcomer, in training

And yet, the Note 3 outperforms both. So I'd say it is definitely the best smartphone money can buy.
  15. slamscaper

slamscaper TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 102   +10

I just got the Note 3 myself and I have to say I would have scored it a bit higher than Tim has. The hardware is absolutely amazing and the display is beautiful, even if it doesn't use a traditional RGB stripe (it's not really pentile either, but something completely different). I also love the faux-leather design on the back and most ppl I've shown this phone to love that as well. A metal design would be preferred of course, but I think the faux-leather back feels much better than the smooth plastic used on other phones like the GS4 and G2. It doesn't feel cheap at all to me. Quite the contrary actually.

I only have a few issues with the Note 3 so far and they are all software related. I noticed a few annoying bugs here and there with some of the software, but I'm sure these will get ironed out in future updates. Another thing I don't like is the sheer amount of bloat Samsung includes on the device, which is staggering. There are a few gems here and there, but for the most part Google already has a better solution for every single app Samsung includes. Samsung's bloat chews up a lot of resources as well, which is why rooting the Note 3 and removing it is a good idea. I've also experienced some wi-fi issues with the Note 3. It tends to disconnect and display a message about the wi-fi connection being unstable, however other devices are connected to the same access point with no issues. I believe this is another software bug because it seems to be a widespread issue.

Other than these issues (which are fixable), I think the Note 3 is amazing. In my opinion it's the best smartphone available right now, although there is some stiff competition from LG and HTC. Apple's iPhone 5s is excellent as well, but I believe it appeals to a different crowd.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.