Kingmax unveils world's first 64GB microSD card

Emil

Staff

Kingmax has implemented its 9 Stacked Die technology to create the world's largest capacity microSD card: 64GB. The microSD card complies with the latest SD3.0 and Class 6 specifications and is also compatible with SD Card Association's SD2.0 specification.

Although it comes in a compact size (15mm x 11mm x 1mm), it will very likely satisfy your needs for massive multimedia data storage, including high-resolution video clips or photos, MP3 files, mobile games, or multimedia downloads. Moreover, with the help of an adapter, Kingmax's microSD card can also be used as an SD card or a USB flash drive. This means you can use it with anything from digital cameras, to multimedia players, to PCs, to PDAs, to card readers, and to printers.

Kingmax's microSD card also has a built-in Error Correction Code (ECC) which acts through a controller to auto detect and reconstruct lost data during transmission to ensure reliable data transfer. In addition, the card comes with Wear leveling algorithm function which allocates all the information into different areas in the memory card to increase each area's average usage and help maximize product lifetime.

All of Kingmax's microSD cards have been approved by multiple safety and environmental standards including CE, FCC, and RoHS; they have also been certified as being compatible with major operating systems. Last but certainly not least, Kingmax offers a lifetime warranty for all its microSD products.

Pricing and availability have yet to be announced. It shouldn't be too long now, given that Kingmax likely doesn't want to wait around and let another manufacturer swoop in and offer a 64GB microSD card first.

Permalink to story.

I'm calling around $150-$240 depending on how much profit they try and squeeze out of it. A 32gb micro sdhc card is about ~$75 now, so double that plus a little more should be the total cost.

Wow. I'm kinda weirded out because I was talking about how they should work on making one this morning.

Nice to know they're listening and were able to develop it in less than 8 hours.

Wow. I'm kinda weirded out because I was talking about how they should work on making one this morning.

Nice to know they're listening and were able to develop it in less than 8 hours.

Well since you have the hotline, make your next wish for a reasonably priced TEC cooler that has proper thermal switching and takes care of around 500w would you?:D

red1776 said:

Well since you have the hotline, make your next wish for a reasonably priced TEC cooler that has proper thermal switching and takes care of around 500w would you?:D

My contacts at corsair and coolermaster have assured me that such a product should be created before the end of the world on Oct 21st.

Princeton said:
red1776 said:

My contacts at corsair and coolermaster have assured me that such a product should be created before the end of the world on Oct 21st.

Well I am certainly glad you have the "meaning of May 21st" figured out.

The microSD format has come a long way since starting out as a proprietary memory card format for Motorola cellphones. A couple of years ago, who would have thought that it would be possible to stuff 64 gigabytes inside a card barely larger than a fingernail.

"Well I am certainly glad you have the "meaning of May 21st" figured out."

I'm guessing you don't read/listen/get real news much.
The end of the world has been rescheduled.

sounds cool but is expected thus I'm not really impressed. If they said 1TB and for a reasonable price then I would be spitting out contents in my mouth on to my computer screen.

stewi0001 said:
sounds cool but is expected thus I'm not really impressed. If they said 1TB and for a reasonable price then I would be spitting out contents in my mouth on to my computer screen.

You won't be seeing 1TB ones for a while.

Well its still cheaper than a SSD drive :p

I wonder if i stick one of those in your PC and install windows on it.....

Its hard to imagine 512 billion useful bits working together at the size of a thumbnail, but cool! I'll take one for my phone please so I can put trivial things on it.

If it produces no errors then sweet. Otherwise it seems like 16 GB MicroSD cards and up seems to have nasty error problems....but maybe that's where no tech involving flash memory comes in? Personally I'd rather see faster MicroSD cards rather than larger. An additional 16GB for example, to my phone would be JUST fine.

Back