Kingston announces water-cooled HyperX H2O memory kits

By Jos
Aug 3, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Kingston today announced the latest additions to its HyperX memory kits lineup, the HyperX H2O. The launch includes one triple channel and two dual channel DDR3 kits made up of modules equipped with a newly-designed heatspreader which -- as the name suggests -- can be connected to water cooling setups.

Read the whole story
  2. BlindObject

BlindObject Newcomer, in training Posts: 446

3. KG363

KG363 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

Overkill?
  4. ansarimikail

ansarimikail Newcomer, in training Posts: 40

This is exactly the type of stuff I think I will be getting for my system...
    like 5 years from now (when its old).
  5. natefalk

natefalk Newcomer, in training Posts: 78

Do you really need water-cooling on the memory?
  6. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 829

Should be useful for overclockers. Unstable RAM is what usually capped my overclocks.
  7. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,917   +119 Staff Member

Ehh, a straight tube that runs thru the RAM?
    -200 for lack of effort
    A directed fan and some RAM with a decent heatsink will cool way better than this

Plus how would you connect water hoses to 3 or 6 of these sticks without creating kinks?
  8. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Could you not use T-pieces and connect them all with straight runs of piping?

I'm suprised you can't get reinforced piping that resists kinking - That's a serious concern in the confines of a PC case in my opinion.

(I've not clicked the link by the way)
  9. PanicX

10. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,651   +51

For ddr3 ram that is not really even that expensive, usually the cheapest is 100$ for 4 gigs. When I get another 4 gig this is what I will be buying.
  11. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,917   +119 Staff Member

Sure there are 90° bends you can buy, but it kind of defeats the purpose don't you think (I mean why make them straight in the first place)

In most motherboard designs the graphics card will be right below the memory, so there is no way you could run a tube there...
    The nipples should be facing straight up, then it's much better
    Plus it should be an actual waterloop leading the water closer to the ramchips
    Not a straight tube just tacked on at the top

12. PanicX

I see what you mean. It'd probably work best if they had some copper spreaders using the "heat pipe" style cooling to a water block and the water block would attach across several dims. I can see this being a real problem if you have really close dim slots too. Would you even be able to put 2 of these next to each other?
  13. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,264   +41

You have to assume that the heat spreader is just as wide as the nickel plated tube going through the top. With that said you be sure that there's something there you cant see. Pretty sure there is a liquid canal setup which we cant see from that picture.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.