TechSpot

Kingston launches "ultra-secure" DataTraveler 6000 flash drive

By Matthew
Sep 29, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Kingston has launched a new "ultra-secure" USB flash drive for government and enterprise organizations that place a high value on data safety. The DataTraveler 6000 boasts Federal Information Processing Standard…

Read the whole story

2. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Those are some seriously slow speeds lol.

3. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Security is expensive on 2GB USB drives lol...

4. It's USB 2.0 and it has a speed up to 11MB/s read, 5MB/s write...

Yeah, It's very slow !!!

5. Why they hell do you need this crap when you can just use TrueCrypt or FreeOTFE?!?!

... is what I want to say but seriously these are a good idea for people who don't want to mess around with software too much. These just works without any software but they are a bit slow... and expensive. Better safe than losing customer data on a unencrypted drive I think.

6. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 376   +43

Having laptops stolen is a much bigger risk then losing a flash drive. Hard disks can have encryption cracked relatively easily if it was encrypted with truecrypt with the right know how. Who uses self encrypting drives these days though to really protect themselves? I've yet to see a self encrypting ssd either.

7. @ Win7Dev
    Really now? Tell me then. If you use a very secure password, you should be same unless you're talking evil maid here. Otherwise you're fighting against AES here so I don't know what you mean "encryption cracked relatively" here at all.

Eitherway it would be best to use a hardware solution which gets rid of most software get-throughs.

Haven't seen a self-encrypting SSD yet but I have seen a few self-encrypting HDD.

8. Based on 256-bit AES alone... and for what they're touting this for, I'd expect an option for 1024-bit or 2048-bit.

9. Quote: "I'd expect an option for 1024-bit or 2048-bit."

You have no clue what you're talking about, do you?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.