TechSpot

Kingston unveils SSDNow V Series 40GB Boot Drive

By Matthew
Oct 26, 2009
  1. Kingston has unveiled a new wallet-friendly solid state drive for desktop users looking boost system performance without picking up a second mortgage. The company's SSDNow V Series 40GB Boot Drive has an MSRP of $115, and according to the press release, rebates could push the price as low as $84.99 at Newegg when it launches on November 9.

Read the whole story

2. For 85 bucks each, I'd be inclined to pick up two and throw them in a RAID 0 array... then you end up with 80 GBs of storage, and fast as hell - while still being plenty cheaper than most single 80 GB SSDs.

3. guyver1

guyver1 TS Booster Posts: 110

any gamer worth his salt NEVER ever install or keeps his games on the OS partition.

I havent re-installed Steam in 10 years of using it. It sits on a dedicated seperate HDD. and everytime i change OS or simply do a clean install all you need to do is delete ClientRegistry.blob, start Steam.exe and your good to go, no need to backup or reinstall.

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Interesting.. I'm also curious, how big is that hard drive you've got Steam on? ;-)

5. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,929   +186

Hahaha rick, yea, that caught my eye too
    Some things are not worth bragging about with old farts as us about :D

6. guyver1

Ive got about 90+ games on my steam account taking up just over 400Gb

7. guyver1

well 7 years then (sure i used it during beta during 2002, but cant really remember that far back), either way comments still stand, never re-installed it, just moved the entire folder from one hdd to another as its grown of the years.

8. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 991   +90

Hmm at $85 that'd be really temping.

9. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106   +97

I picture this drive being more suitable for gaming consoles with its small capacity. I agree with the consensus that this is a very tempting offer @ $85.

10. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TS Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ...

i just can't wait for a PS3 Firmware update that will allow the use of these SSDs ... ;)

cheers!

11. Souljacker

Souljacker TS Rookie Posts: 24

Finally, a reasonably priced ssd boot drive. Probably still cost a fortune over here in the UK :( Americans are lucky!

12. Docnoq

Docnoq TS Booster Posts: 143

Guyver1,

I'm curious as to what you are doing exactly. Seeing as I am awaiting my copy of Win7 to arrive (M$ shipped it to Colorado, I'm in Florida -.-), it would be great to not have to re-download all of my Steam games. What I am currently planning on doing is copying my entire Steam folder from my C: drive to my D: drive, then installing Steam on Win7, closing it, and copying my folder back over. Are you running Steam from your secondary hard drive or doing what I mentioned? Space is not *that* much of an issue as my C: drive has 250GB while my D: drive has 1TB.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.