Knights of the Old Republic II Sith Lords - crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. First i couldn't find a solution for this so i post this. 2. My english isnt perfect :p.
So my problem is that when i try to launch the game i get an error called Microsoft Windows... It just says that the game crashed etc. Im a vista user and when i disable the sound in configuration then i can play but its a little enjoying. Can anyone please help ? Ah and there is no black screen etc... just the game cant launch.

Have you tried updating your various drivers? I'd suggest updating your soundcard drivers if disabling sound allowed you to play. I'd also suggest checking the in-game menus for Hardware Acceleration under the sound options. Try switching this on and off to see if the game will play nice with your sound.

Also, update your other drivers while you're at it. Update your graphics card's drivers and see if that aids it at all.

Are you running the game in Directx9 or Directx10? Sometimes it can cause an issue. For example, I am using Windows 7 and I tried to run Crysis in Directx10. But it kept crashing on me and I had to switch to Directx9 in order to make it work properly. Perhaps you suffer from the same problem.

Have you also tried updating the game? There's a patch available for KOTOR2.

I was also able to pull some interesting things from this website:
http://www.tweakguides.com/KOTOR2_3.html

There are a number of things mentioned there that cause Vista crashes with this game, and there's an entire section devoted to audio.

"" Audio Problems: KOTOR 2 has several issues with audio, however there are a few things you can do to minimize these problems. To begin with, make sure in Windows that you go to Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Advanced, and ensure your speaker setting matches your actual physical speaker setup. Note that sometimes if you crash out of KOTOR 2, these settings may be altered without your knowledge, so check back on these often (and in detail) if you are having audio problems. Then under the Performance tab, you can try reducing the Hardware Acceleration slider one notch to see if it removes some of your audio problems. If you have an EAX-capable sound card and are using any EAX in KOTOR 2, go to your AudioHQ and open the EAX Control Panel. Click the 'All Effects Off' button at the bottom left. Finally, EAX may cause problems on some audio cards regardless of settings, so disable it in the Advanced Audio settings of the game.

Once again note that there are issues with certain sound hardware in KOTOR 2, so check the game's Troubleshooting Guide for more details and recommended solutions/workarounds. ""

Hi again, i tried to do everything you mentioned (still have to see the troubleshooting guide) how ever i got this error when i try to scan the hardware to see how the game would run etc. img190.images
hack.us/img190/3946/aaafy.jpg
Later this img8.image
shack.us/img8/4511/aaars.jpg
I got the newest nvidia drivers and it doesnt help at all. Ah and i got the latest kotor2 patch.

Edit: Maybe also you know a way to launch the game and later launch the configuration ? Maybe i could enable the sound then, but i cant launch the two at one time.

Well, firstly, what video card do you have? And second, what driver revision number do you have? The so-called latest drivers on the nvidia website may not be the most up to date drivers. They recently released a beta driver. It's revision number is 195.39. It has a huge number of bug fixes and it may help you to run the game.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_195.39_beta.html

As for launching the configuration part after launching the game, there are a few ways you can do that. Once you're in game, try hitting the Windows key on your keyboard. That will bring up the Start menu and minimize your game in most cases. The other way to try is to press Alt + Tab. That will switch you over from one application to the desktop or to another application that's running. This might help you reach the configuration after launching the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back