Kyocera FS-1020D print not aligning

By davidmrae
Apr 28, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I have a Kyocera FS-1020D printer that has printed about 45,000 pages. It now has a problem with aligning the print. When a page prints it begins printing right at the top of the page and is missing the first 1-2cm of detail. THis happens when printing documents from word etc and when printing a test page from the printer. It also happens when the paper is fed from the print tray or the manual paper feed
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,700   +873

Try installing the most up to date driver software for your PC according to you OS: http://www.kyoceradocumentsolutions...ownload_centre.false.driver.FS1020D._.EN.html
    I know for HP, the drivers come bundled with a control center that allows you to align and clean the print heads, check ink levels, etc. Maybe the new driver will come bundled with that type of software. My printer can also clean and align the cartridges from with in the printer itself since it has a touch screen. Not sure if you can do that with yours because of the small screen. You can also take a look at your user manual for steps on how to align the cartridges. Download the manual here if you lost it: http://www.kyoceradocumentsolutions...wnload_centre.false.driver.FS1020D._.EN.html#
  3. davidmrae

davidmrae Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply. The Kyocera 1020D is a laser printer and the driver software does not have any ability to change page alignment.
  4. JC713

I am not sure then. I was wondering if being laser had anything to do with it. Maybe jobeard can help.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,284   +281

Sounds like a paper feed problem - - the rollers are getting old+hard and fail to pickup the paper immediately but the printing starts correctly and the whole page gets shifted.

prove this for yourself - - set the paper margin equal to the physical limits of the printer (typically 0.5 inch). Now create a page with MS Word and place a BOX around the first paragraph. Type one line until it line-wraps (ie it should print completely across the page) and then hit <ENTER> until you get to the last line that keeps the outline BOX on the first page.

Hit Print - - if the page is feed correctly, you see exactly what you created, otherwise it's a paper feed problem.
  6. JC713

That is what I meant to say ;). lol go Jobeard!
  7. Adrian123

Adrian123 Newcomer, in training

Just fixed mine tonight with the help of Google Translate and a german printer forum...

The cause is small piece of foam rubber tape on the registration clutch solenoid, which gets slightly sticky with age and affects the timing of the paper mechanism.

If you're reasonably comfortable dismantling stuff (and reassembling successfully!) it's not hard to fix. It helps to get the service manual, which has nice diagrams of how the parts can be removed - Google "fs-1020d service manual".

Here goes:
    Lift out the "process unit" (toner and drum).
    Remove the top cover - 2 screws.
    Remove the thumbscrews from the rear to get at the option slots.
    Remove the right side cover - about 6 or 8 plastic clips (service manual shows where).
    Disconnect the 12 cables from the engine board (the one with 12 cables ;-)
    Remove the engine board - 3 screws.
    Unclip a few wires and remove the light-grey plastic cover (1 screw).
    You'll now see 3 solenoids (coils with metal levers attached; mine had the coils wrapped in blue tape). Top right one is likely the main culprit, but probably worth looking at all of them. Take the solenoids off one at a time - 1 screw each.

There's a small piece of 0.5mm foam tape that's supposed to stop the solenoid from clicking too loudly when the magnet pulls the lever in, and it's probably very gooey. I scraped off the goo and replaced it with some foam tape I cut down thin with a razor blade. You could probably just omit it altogether or cover the goo with some adhesive tape.

Reverse to reassemble - good luck!
    LLojanes likes this.
  8. LLojanes

LLojanes Newcomer, in training

Hi Adrian123,
    Had the same problem. Used your description to get to solenoids.
    Instead of scraping off the goo, I just covered it by firmly wrapping a very thin tape around goo + its metal base. Now my FS-1020 works like a charm again.
    Thx so much for your very useful + clear description! Great!!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.