L4D2 DLC coming with L4D maps, community campaign

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Bored of the existing Left 4 Dead 2 campaigns? Then you'll be happy to hear that Valve is preparing to launch new downloadable content -- though it won't be quite the same as previous releases. Unlike The Passing and The Sacrifice, Valve will place less emphasis on story in the next DLC and simply offer a pack of several maps to spice up your gaming sessions.

One of the campaigns is being developed by community member Matthew Lourdelet, creator of the popular Left 4 Dead map "2 Evil Eyes." Valve says Lourdelet's upcoming campaign called "Cold Stream" looks even more promising than 2 Evil Eyes, but the campaign isn't complete yet and Valve wants to get the rest of the community involved in the process.

A beta version of Cold Stream will be added to L4D2 in the coming weeks so PC and Mac users can begin testing. Valve wants gamers to share their feedback in a new forum section dedicated to the project. "We appreciate feedback from the entire community. This is an experiment for us, so please let us know what you think and what you would like to see in the DLC."

In addition to Cold Stream, Valve plans to port the three remaining L4D maps "Blood Harvest," "Dead Air" and "Death Toll" to L4D2. The original "No Mercy" campaign was added to L4D2 last October alongside "The Sacrifice" DLC. Valve hasn't announced a launch date for the upcoming map pack yet, but the developer says it won't come before Portal 2's mid-April release.

Permalink to story.

Has to be better than the crappy 3 map suck fest of The Passing and The Sacrifice.

Valve wants gamers to share their feedback in a new forum section dedicated to the project. "We appreciate feedback from the entire community. This is an experiment for us, so please let us know what you think and what you would like to see in the DLC." .

Nice, i havent found time to play videogames lately but surely after im done with my working projects ill rage L4D2 with my friends.

Untill then GG

Khanonate said:
Actually, I like those maps....

Regardless of if you like them they were poor maps from a design standpoint. It looks like they just put a bunch of props in the middle of the map and set off a bomb. Then the props landed all over and they called it a map.

Nice, way to go Valve. Definitely like the addition of the original maps too since I always enjoyed them :) . To bad it'll be a few months before we get this though.

i'm still upset at Valve for releasing L4D2 as a separate game instead of it being a big DLC like it was originally intended upon.
Then they purposely release a stripped-down dev kit so people can't reverse the L4D2 content back to L4D (since they run the EXACT SAME ENGINE, graphics, textures, animations, etc..... it would be extremely easy to do), because, hell, it should all be one game. And for the PURE FACT that they are porting all the L4D campaigns over to L4D2 just proves my point.
I was a part of the official L4D2 Boycott group (until it disbanded, but not after getting our point across to Valve, granted, they actually listened), and am glad I got the game for $4 near boxing day, laughing at all you suckers that paid $50+ for it when it came out.
I've only launched L4D2 to configure the settings and that's it. I still play L4D and will continue supporting it until there are no more UNREST mod servers to play on, THEN I will begrudgingly move to L4D2 but by that time, Doom 4 will be starting to show so @#^& all other games when Doom comes out!

Guest said:
i'm still upset at Valve for releasing L4D2 as a separate game instead of it being a big DLC like it was originally intended upon.
Then they purposely release a stripped-down dev kit so people can't reverse the L4D2 content back to L4D (since they run the EXACT SAME ENGINE, graphics, textures, animations, etc..... it would be extremely easy to do), because, hell, it should all be one game. And for the PURE FACT that they are porting all the L4D campaigns over to L4D2 just proves my point.
I was a part of the official L4D2 Boycott group (until it disbanded, but not after getting our point across to Valve, granted, they actually listened), and am glad I got the game for $4 near boxing day, laughing at all you suckers that paid $50+ for it when it came out.
I've only launched L4D2 to configure the settings and that's it. I still play L4D and will continue supporting it until there are no more UNREST mod servers to play on, THEN I will begrudgingly move to L4D2 but by that time, Doom 4 will be starting to show so @#^& all other games when Doom comes out!

Just so that you know, you are the sort of person that I take almost every precaution to aviod. Seriously, stop whining. Please.

Back