LaCie introduces Porsche Design USB 3.0 HDDs

Emil

Staff

LaCie and Porsche Design Group have announced the LaCie Porsche Design Mobile (P'9220) and LaCie Porsche Design Desktop (P'9230) hard disk drives (HDDs) with USB 3.0 support. They are being advertised as having a sleek aluminum frame with a purist design thanks to a combination of premium material and workmanship.

The P9220 starts out at £90.00 ($145.00) for 500GB of storage (a 1TB option should be coming soon). The P9230 meanwhile costs £100.00 ($160) for 1TB or £130.00 ($210) for 2TB. The products are available through the LaCie Online Store, LaCie Corner, and LaCie Reseller+.

The two companies are claiming the LaCie Porsche Design Mobile and LaCie Porsche Design Desktop are the fastest USB 3.0 HDDs on the market. We're not sure how they can say that, but even if it's true, we doubt they will be able to keep the title for long.

The P9220 measures 71mm x 18mm x 130mm (2.8" x 0.7" x 5.1") and weighs 270g (9.5 ounces). The P9230 meanwhile measures 120mm x 190mm x 38mm (4.7" x 7.5" x 1.5") and weighs 1kg (37 ounces). They are built with durable and scratch-resistant aluminum that protects the hard drive mechanics. The aluminum also regulates heat for guaranteed performance, and is 100 percent recyclable.

LaCie Porsche Design HDDs come with software to easily install your drive on PC and Mac. Each drive includes backup software, eco mode for power savings, password protection to keep files secure, and 10GB of Wuala secure online storage.

I personally would never buy a hard disk drive based on how it looks, and definitely would not pay a premium to have two brands rather than just one. That being said, many computers, peripherals, and accessories sell well because of their design, because let's face it, most consumers aren't geeks.

Permalink to story.

I saw Porsche Design and was thinking it was a model of a car housing the drive.

So disappointed, I didn't see anything spectacular.

Jajajaja Jajajaja.... that's not a posche design, that's a shoes box design !!!
:D

Being Porsche, I was expecting something really cool looking...instead, I saw a regular looking box. But I guess it's more about the speed than the look.

Back