LaCie starts shipping Thunderbolt-equipped Little Big Disk

By Jos
Sep 23, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. LaCie has announced today that its first Thunderbolt device, the Little Big Disk Thunderbolt external drive, is now available for purchase. The drive was announced all the way back in…

Read the whole story
  2. I guess if you want/need that type of speed it might be worth it, though you can buy a 2 TB external drive ($90) and a USB 3 card ($20). So for about 1/4 the price you can get double the size at 1/2 the speed. In most cases this would be good enough.
  3. ... " the new drive boasts READ speeds of UP TO 190 MB/s " ...

Come on! Give me a break!

That's too slow (less of 20%) for a 10 Gb/s bus, even for USB 3.0
  4. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

If you run Windows on your Mac, will it recognize Thunderbolt connected external drives?

Cause I read that if you have a Thunderbolt display, you can't run Windows on your Mac at all.
  5. Cota

Cota TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

For the 1GB/s that Thunderbolt can archive, this is a duck slap in the face! get a Sata 3 and use the 700MB/S that it can do!
  6. SammyJames

SammyJames TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 168

Dude -- you KILL me!!! My goodness... do you really sit around THINKING about stuff like this?

:)
  7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Yes, I've found that the ability to think has helped me a lot in life. You should try it some time.
  8. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 140   +20

unless its a multidrive raid or solid state thunderbolt is a bit pointless. Standard drives just aren't fast enough.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.