LAN network problem

I have a virgin broadband moden connected to a switcher box which has the ability to have 5 ip addresses running at one time, i have 3 connected to the LAN with no issues but i have just tried to link another computer and its not allowing me to join my LAN. It comes up with Limited or no connectivity. It will not renew the IP address. Any suggestions guys. I use windows XP. I could really do with some guidance. Thanks in advance.

i have just tried to link another computer and its not allowing me to join my LAN. It comes up with Limited or no connectivity. It will not renew the IP address. Any suggestions guys. I could really do with some guidance. Thanks in advance.
On the box that fails, get a command prompt (start->run->cmd) and enter ipconfig /all >myTcp.txt
now view that file
if you see any thing like
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e820:1900:d29f:bed4%15(Preferred)​
then you need to google for "windows disable ipv6" and apply the fix that relates to your {xp, vista, win7}.

Hi Jobeard

Thanks For reply. this is what came up:

windows ip configuration

host name.............................: office-2
primary DNS suffix.................:
node type..............................Unknown
IP Routing Enabled................:yes
WINS Proxy enabled..............:No

Ethernet adapter local area connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix....:
Description..................................: Realtek RTL8139/810x family fast ethernet NIC
Physical Address.........................: 00-11-3b-18-7d-d1
DHCP enabled............................ : yes
autoconfiguration enabled..............: yes
autoconfiguration ip address..........: 169.254.20.190
subnet mask.................................: 255.255.0.0
Default gateway............................:

I couldnt see anything on here relating to what you were saying but does this help in any way?

All that is normal for the symptom you are reporting
Ethernet adapter Local Area connection 2:
hmm; that suggestions there are more LAN connections.

could you post the entire contents of the myTcp.txt file please?

Back