TechSpot

Lappy upgrade possibilities

By Golf3r
Jun 14, 2006
  1. Laptop upgrade possibilities

I am getting a "hand-me-down" lappy soon and was wondering what upgrade possibilities there are for the cpu and/or mobo. It is a 2.6 GHz Pentium 4 (I didnt even know they put these things in laptops, and from my experience the laptop is hot as h$ll a few minutes after you turn it on so battery life porbably isnt that good), has 965 random megabytes of memory, a 60 gig HD, and an ATI radeon 900m with 64 megs (kinda sucks). I was wondering if I was able to put maybe an HT processor in it without a new mobo or be able to change the mobo and get the soon-to-be-released core 2 duo. thanks

2. Golf3r

Golf3r TS Rookie Topic Starter

update

BTW, the laptop is a HP Pavilion ZE5385US. Im guessing it uses the Prescott pentium 4, desktop version. I know now after some looking that I cant slap a core duo or even a pentium m as it wont work with the mobo, but would a pentium 4 HT with the same socket (478) work with my mobo? Would the P4 stock heatsink work well enough to keep an desktop HT cool? Is it even :cool: worth it? I'm trying to keep a sub 200$ upgrade on this thing, and I can find good deals on eBay for the processor. Here are the upgrades so far:

HITACHI Travelstar 7K60 HTS726060M9AT00 (08K0939) 60GB 7200 RPM ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM from Newegg @ 94.99 (its the same capacity of the old hd, but it is 1800 RPM's faster, so is it worth it?)

a 512 stick of pc2100 notebook @ $50 or so

then the processor.

-looking to use for mainly office apps and games like civ4, galciv2, maybe battlefield 2 if i can get an upgraded processor. Any help is appreciated :cool:

3. Golf3r

Golf3r TS Rookie Topic Starter

anyone? some help?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.