Laptop connection problem

Hi everyone,
My problem is that I have two laptops,one (mine) is operating perfectly,but my wife cannot get an Internet connection on hers. Up until a couple of weeks ago both laptops were working perfectly,but for some reason my wife's laptop suddenly stopped getting an Internet connection. I am using wireless. The router I am using is a Thomson Speed Touch. I have contacted my ISP (Talk Talk) on a number of occasions for technical assistance but,frankly, it has been a total waste of time as I just cannot get any sense out of them, it's as if we were conversing in different languages. I would appreciate any help that is forthcoming in trying to rectify the problem. I am operating with Windows Vista and my wife's laptop is Windows 7
Many thanks

First things first. What exactly have you tried so far to get it to connect to the router?

I assume you want the laptop to be connected wirelessly, but have you tried to connect by ethernet cable to see if it works? We want to narrow it down to see if it is strictly wireless that is the issue, or internet communication all together.. Try connecting through an ethernet cable and see what the results are.

If that doesn't work then we will have to go through some other things.

Yes, I have tried to connect to the Internet through the ethernet cable,but without success. I really would be extremely grateful for any assistance you may be able to afford me.

Ok, when your trying to connect do you get the prompt to diagnose the connection problem? If you press that what message does it tell you?

Also, can you open command prompt by pressing the start menu button the typing in cmd and hitting enter. In here type ipconfig, take a screenshot of this screen and attach it here.

Have you downloaded any programs on that laptop recently?

Which browser are you using?

Are you able to surf the internet while in "Safe Mode With Networking?" To get here, restart the computer, as it is booting up, start tapping F8, tap it until you have bunch of different boot options. Choose "Safe Mode with Networking" see if you can browse the web then, what happens?

Many thanks for your help,ComputerGuy55. My brother has just solved the problem by removing a game that was downloaded from the Internet and restoring the laptop to an earlier time. Thanks again.

No problem. I was hoping it was something as simple as that. Glad to know your problem has been solved. If you run into any other problems feel free to update this post so it notifies me and I will gladly try and help. Best of luck and hopefully no future problems.

Back