TechSpot

Laptop CPU upgrade

By stev3
Jan 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. hi i have an acer aspire 5536 with the AMD M780G Chipset i currently have the "AMD Turion x2 RM-74" Installed with 8gb ram, my question is will my motherboard & chipset take an "AMD® Phenom™ II Quad-Core 1.6 GHz Processor" or "AMD® Phenom™ II Triple-Core 2.1 GHz Processor" as i've upgraded ram & hdd, i know i cant upgrade the gpu as its embedded which is a shame anyway thanks

2. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 620   +118

Try googling the model of your laptop and see if you can find the different CPUs that were offered with it. If the two you listed aren't mentioned then I wouldnt attempt an upgrade to those.

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

seldom does it pay off to upgrade a laptop CPU. Far too often, it is more difficult and also not cost-efficient.

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Your risk of causing addition problems is huge, compared to the possibility of getting noticeably better performance.

5. stev3

stev3 TS Rookie Topic Starter

i have 5 years computer knowledge so i know my way around a laptop
    upgrading any component im comfortable with & wont damage my system
    as to the cpu upgrade, im only asking as i've seen the same mobo with them processors in different laptops

6. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 620   +118

Hhhmmm if youve got the money and time try it and let us know how it goes!