Laptop crashes and wont detect hard drive when I reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoWoodbridge

Hey guys.....i have taken my friends labtop in for technical support.......i have been trying to troubleshoot the issue and this is what happens........After workin on the pc for some time id say maybe 25 mins......i notice the computer just shuts off and dies.
When i try rebooting the computer, It will not detect the hard drive at all......and it just stays at a black screen and doesnt go any further......Im suspecting that maybe his hard drive is pretty mangled or his motherboard is starting to go.

Could someone give me a heads up on this matter.......Thanks for your time guys......you guys do great work here !!

Sometimes heat Generated from internal Dust (near CPU and Fan)
If you're really keen, you could dismantle it, and then use compressed air (comes in a can) and blow out all the internal dust)

Ofcourse it could be a dieing HardDrive too
You can run a Drive Diagnostics on it as well

I have used a program called speedfan and the tempertures for the labtop are cool (36 degrees C) so i dont think heat is a factor....its just weird.....i dont hear no clicking noises at all by the harddrive as if its going to die but i do hear some noise as if its a fan that is running fast ?

ok.......i have tried swapping the hard drives......i have reformatted the new hard drive and when its done formatting and tries to reboot......it just stops on a black screen all the time........and when i power off the machine and restart it continues the installation......after im done doing the installation, the machine still shuts down or freezes like it used to........so im assuming now that it aint the hard drive but it could be something else.......any ideas as to what it could be ?

I also notice that when i was finished installing xp that it would took up 1 GB on the hard drive.....which doesnt sound right to me.....any thoughts andn replies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I still believe that the cleaning process would help
The 1 Gig used space is normal, and if anything low! MS recommend approx 2 Gig of space required for minimal install of Xp (this is mainly due to "swap file" space
You can view your pagefile.sys file size on C drive (directly) by clicking on folder options and View tab (Tools->Foler Options->View in any opened folder) and then sho Hidden files, and also tick show system files. This will show c:\pagefile.sys actual size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back