Laptop D: drive gives "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function"

By akashshubhra
May 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I have a Dell Vostro 1520 laptop with Windows XP (last 3 years). It has now stopped recognising any blank cd or dvd and gives the error message "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function". It can however read/play cd's or dvd's that have data/music/movies on them.

I have gone to Dell's support site and applied firmware updates for CD/DVD drive. I have also previously changed D drive setting to "enable burning of CD's".

The D: drive shows up in Windows Explorer but I cannot even select to. I click on D drive and cursor jumps back to C:, so I cant even get to it.

What else can i do?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

Have the CD/DVD drive replaced...
  3. akashshubhra

akashshubhra TS Rookie Topic Starter

got a new DVD drive - same problem

Since my D: drive was giving problems, i got a new Samsung DVD/CD burner that requires 2 USB ports to be used. However i can read any cd/dvd using that device however when i insert a blank CD, i get message
    "e:\is not accessible. Incorrect function"

Any suggestions?

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

A DVD/CD burner that uses 2 USB ports must be an external USB CD/DVD burner, right? Is XP updated fully using Windows Update and is XP updated to Service Pack 3?
  5. Zilpha

Zilpha TS Enthusiast Posts: 319

Well, since this device is showing the exact same behavior as your internal drive, I'd have to say maybe it's the media. It's not uncommon to have a bad batch of media, or maybe it's an incompatible type for the drive.
  6. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183