Laptop D: drive gives "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function"

I have a Dell Vostro 1520 laptop with Windows XP (last 3 years). It has now stopped recognising any blank cd or dvd and gives the error message "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function". It can however read/play cd's or dvd's that have data/music/movies on them.

I have gone to Dell's support site and applied firmware updates for CD/DVD drive. I have also previously changed D drive setting to "enable burning of CD's".

The D: drive shows up in Windows Explorer but I cannot even select to. I click on D drive and cursor jumps back to C:, so I cant even get to it.

What else can i do?

Thanx

got a new DVD drive - same problem

Hi,

Since my D: drive was giving problems, i got a new Samsung DVD/CD burner that requires 2 USB ports to be used. However i can read any cd/dvd using that device however when i insert a blank CD, i get message
"e:\is not accessible. Incorrect function"

Any suggestions?

thanks

A DVD/CD burner that uses 2 USB ports must be an external USB CD/DVD burner, right? Is XP updated fully using Windows Update and is XP updated to Service Pack 3?

Well, since this device is showing the exact same behavior as your internal drive, I'd have to say maybe it's the media. It's not uncommon to have a bad batch of media, or maybe it's an incompatible type for the drive.

Back