TechSpot

Laptop hanging sporadically

By Flumple
Apr 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,

I'm using an Acer 5920 with Windows 7 32-Bit Professional. Through general use my laptop seems to hang for around 30 seconds before resuming. Any inputs I made during that time (e.g. if I continue typing) pop up when the system un-freezes. I'm not aware of any other symptoms.

• I thought this could be a problem with Google Chrome and Flash but it has happened a few times when I'm not using a browser
    • I'm also pretty sure it's not a hardware problem as I've only experienced this issue since I formatted my laptop and reinstalled Windows recently. It could be a driver issue.

If someone could guide me through how to approach this I'd be really grateful.

Thanks
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,805   +158

What antivirus program are you using?
  3. Flumple

Flumple TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 40

I don't actually have an anti-virus software installed at the moment. In the past I've used Avast and AVG; would you recommend installing one of those?
    I've got Malwarebytes and Spybot installed and do fairly regular sweeps with those two.
  4. Tmagic650

5. Flumple

I don't think the laptop is overheating, but I might try cleaning it out this weekend. I've run an MSE test but no threats were detected.
  6. Flumple

I'm still experiencing this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any pieces of software which make a log which might help?
  7. Tmagic650

You recently re-installed Windows fresh after formatting? Did you clean out any dust from the laptop?
  8. Flumple

Yes I did using a can of compressed air. I've done it a couple of times since but to no avail. The fan seems to be working okay, and it has hung when recently switched on (I.e. quite cool)
  9. Tmagic650

How old is the laptop? You may have to take it in for service
  10. Flumple

The laptop is around 5 years old. Is there any way of running diagnostics to determine whether this is a software or hardware fault?
  11. Tmagic650

The CPU/GPU thermal paste and/or pads have dried out from heat over time, and they can be replaced by a technician... that's it

12. Flumple

I've replaced the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU but it hung on me last night. A friend suggested it could be something to do with my RAM?
  13. Tmagic650

Test the Ram using Memtest86 v4.20:
    http://www.memtest.org/
    Let it run for 7 passes. Any errors mean memory trouble
  14. Flumple

No errors from Memtest. My computer has only hung that one time since the thermal paste was replaced and the fan was cleaned out.
  15. Tmagic650

Okay, keep us posted on whether the freezing continues...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.