Laptop HD not saving any info

RobFM

I will start by saying I do not have all the details yet as I am picking up a faulty laptop on thursday, but would like first impressions...

This laptop will not save documents or files to the hard drive. They are there when initially saved, but disappear when the system is next switched on. System restore to before this happened the first time did not solve it.

I am looking at a full format and re-install of windows to try and solve... Any other ideas of something to try before I do that?

System restore doesn't work on documents or files.

The laptop is probably running a scheduled format or something. Keep an eye on it as it shuts down and starts back up again. It should be noticeable that it's doing something different.

Hey RobFM. From your description, this sounds like something that must have happened to someone else's pc and you are trying to fix it. So if you try to save a Wordpad document, can you actually save it (no error message), close Wordpad, then open up the document right away, but if the system is turned off, the document disappears when the system is powered back on?. Does the same thing happen to a picture or music file?.

Back