Laptop keeps restarting, cannot shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliah

i just installed an internet connection and a dlink wireless n router...my laptop keeps restarting even though i shut it down. It shuts off for like 5 seconds before booting up again. It works fine but I just cant shut it off unless i unplug the power (removed battery).

You don't give any information to work with.

1. What are your system specs?
2. What security programs do you have? Have you scanned with each, updating each right before the scan?
3. Have you checked the Power Settings in the Control Panel?
4. Have you checked the power supply?
5. Have you taken your browser off of automatic restart?

the laptop is an acer aspire 5572nwxci running on windows xp sp2
i use avg free edition...the problem only started occuring after i installed the dlink dir-615 wireless n router...

Try bypassing the router- connect directly from modem to computer. If that solves the problem, then the router is bad or possibly not configured correctly.

the laptop was ok for a while but now it is acting up again...i've tried bypassing the router but that doesnt solve the problem...

Can you clarify this please:
"i just installed an internet connection" Are you referring to just setting up the router? Do you have the router hard wired to a desktop and the laptop networked- or do you just have the laptop?

we recently applied for an internet connection with our phone company and thus had to activate and set it up.
the router had not been purchased yet at that point in time so the modem was hardwired to the laptop.
we purchased the router a few days later, which was a dlink dir-615 wireless n router.

sorry...just to add...the laptop with the restart problem was the laptop we used to configure all the modem and router settings...we also installed the drivers and software on the problem laptop...the problem laptop is hardwired to the router...but can also connect to the wireless network...

The only reason for bypassing the router was to see if the connection was good. If it was, then the router could have gone bad. It happens.

I am a bit uncertain of what you have though. It sounds like you are only using laptops and the wireless router is hard wired to one of them.

We need to find out what is causing the shutdowns and reboots. With a laptop, this can be a heat issue. Please note the time when the laptop hangs and/or when or does the reboot. Then follow this path:

Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

The Event Viewer has logs for everything that is occurring on the computer. It logs just 'Information' Events, it logs 'Warning' Events which can usually be ignored and it logs Errors which can be used to find the cause. Note Error that occur at the particular times mentioned. You will see multiple Errors. IF the ID# is the same, if the Source is the same and if the Description is the same, I only need one copy of each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back