Laptop keyboard malfunctioning

Hi, I recently dropped my laptop from a 3 foot height and now am having a problem with the keyboard. When I hit certain keys, it displays other keys aswell. For example, if I hit v it displays "6vt" or if i hit backspace it displays "2". Aswell as other keys..
I'm worried and veering towards that I've ****ed my keyboard :( but i wanted to ask incase someone knows what is going on and maybe I can fix the problem. Short of replacing the entire keyboard :S any thoughts?

Replacing laptop keyboards is easy and not too expensive... Your lucky if that is all that's wrong though

You may not even need to replace your keyboard... it could be a loose connector.

Search Google for your laptop model plus the word "teardown". You'll probably find a guide to replace your keyboard. It's generally pretty simple though, depending on your laptop. It's usually just a few screws from the bottom (the screwn holes are often labeled with a little keyboard-looking label or the letter "K" too). You may also need to remove the plastic bezel above the keyboard (just under the screen, usually) in order to lift the keyboard out.

Mind you, not all laptops are like this, but most are. You're mileage will vary. :)

well just sharing my experience....
i got upset and slammed the hell out of my keyboard and the keyboard basically came attached to the motherboard on my laptop...so long story short, fixing it would have cost me more than what the laptop was worth, i ended up replacing the laptop
gud luk

well just sharing my experience....
i got upset and slammed the hell out of my keyboard and the keyboard basically came attached to the motherboard on my laptop...
I'm pretty certain I've taken apart somewhere around 400-500 laptops of all sizes, ages and price ranges in my lifetime. I've never run across a laptop that has had an integrated keyboard. Every single one of them has had a ribbon cable with an unlockable connector.

They almost always look like this -- sometimes without the locking mechanism. Normally, you'd life upward on the brown tabs and pull the cable out. To reinsert, make sure the brown tabs are pulled up, slide in the cable and push the tabs back down.

replace-damaged-keyboard-08.jpg

Yes Rick, and some laptop keyboards have a latch-type lock that you lift to release, and push down to lock

Back