Laptop not powering on

I just changed the thermal paste in my laptop and now when I press the power button, the power light comes on for three seconds and goes out. I've changed thermal paste a few times before on a different laptop without this problem. The pc doesn't power up (no fan or other lights) it's just the power light that comes on for a few seconds. It worked before I replaced the paste and I'm thinking something may have come loose. I've checked the fan's seating multiple times. Also when I plug it in the charge light doesn't come on.

I've tried taking the battery out, unplugging it and holding the power button down.

It doesn't work just plugged in without the battery or vice versa.

I've reseated my ram even though I didn't mess with it.

the laptop is ASUS n50vn, I've googled everywhere for solutions but couldn't find anything else.

I really don't want to disassemble it, but the only other thing I can think of is a loose wire somewhere I can't reach without completely taking it apart. Any clues as to what it could be?

Replacing laptop thermal paste can be tricky. Did the laptop have thermal pads originally? Each time you tear down a laptop you are taking a chance on breaking something, like plastics or wires, not to mention damage from static electricity. The motherboard may be bad now

I'm assuming the laptop had some type of thermal/cooling issue which was the reason you decided to reapply the thermal compound. I usually never have to reapply thermal compound on client machines unless A) I'm replacing the PCB or B) I'm replacing the cooling fan and will usually re-grease while I'm there especially if it's an older unit.

Your issue sounds PCB (board) related to me. It's a tricky situation but I guess your best bet would be to disassemble and confirm all your cables are in place. If it still doesn't work, let's just hope you didn't nuke anything with ESD damage heh :(

Good luck :)

Yes, Norbur I agree. If a laptop is overheating or has clogged cooling fins, this is when I will apply new thermal pads or paste. Motherboard or fan replacement is another time to replace thermal paste or pads

Back