Laptop not powering up

I have a HP DV6000 laptop that will not power on. It will not power on without the battery either...What I call the 'dashboard' lights on the keyboard will light for 2-3 seconds and you can hear the slightest fan noise and then all goes dark (screen never lights up). With AC plugged in, the little blue light at the plug does light up as does the blue light at the lightning bolt charge icon...presumably indicating a full battery.

What would be the first thing you would trouble shoot? I've tried removing and switching the RAM sticks with no luck...I'm good with computers just haven't done any laptop repairs and I'd rather not take it to a 'shop'.

Thanks!

It bears pointing out that this precise model has an overheating issue - the GPU can get so hot that it desolders itself from the mobo! Unfortunately, the symptoms you describe sound like this (if so, I don't know a reliable fix, there are lots of unreliable ones out there!). Sorry I can't be more positive. :(

I believe a new motherboard would equal a new laptop. It sounds like something is shorting out when you power it on. A technician could probably look at and tell you exactly where but with how cheap laptops are these days you could probably find a steal on a new one.

Also, if this particular model is notorious for overheating you could try looking to see if the manufacturer is offering any sort of repair or replace on parts.

Looks like I can get a new board for about $100. I'm comfortable enough to replace it on my own...but I'm not 100% sure about how to transfer the processor itself from the old to the new board. Any advice?

It looks like it just pops out of the socket and you cant transfer it over.
See if this helps:

Back