TechSpot

Laptop power on problem

By riget
Mar 10, 2010
  1. Hi all, first the laptop is a toshiba u300
    the problem is I have to discharge the laptop every time before it will boot, by this I mean I have to, remove power adapter, remove battery and hold the on button for several seconds, another way I've found is if I hold a voltmeter to the + of a capacitor close to the power and battery connections, and to earth, I see the volts go from 12v up to 13v then down to 3v quickly, then down to below 2v a little slower, then the laptop will boot.
    I guess that a capacitor/s holding charge stop the laptop from booting, by discharging it/them, even by a voltmeter, the laptop then boots.

Anyone have any idea's why this is.
    Thanks.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,067   +169

Possibly a damaged motherboard...

3. riget

riget TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes but I'm wanting to know what part of the mothrboard, and is it repairable.
    Also could it be the battery?

4. ctriana921

ctriana921 TS Rookie

"Possibly a damaged motherboard..."

^this.

5. Tmagic650

Some laptop CMOS batteries plug into the motherboard and some CMOS batteries are soldered in place. Both types can be replaced, but you have to have some soldering skills and equipment to replace the soldered in type

6. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,761   +97

Bad power switch
    Bad MOBO
    Bad PSU
    Bad adapter outlet

Power switch can be easy to repair, but if you have another issue then the MOBO would be the best bet to replace.

7. riget

Thanks for the tips guys, but it was the battery.

8. Tmagic650

The Laptop rechargeable battery or the motherboard CMOS Battery?

9. riget

The main rechargeable battery.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.