Laptop reducing FPS when playing games after cleaning Sirefef trojans

Deus Mantra

Hello,

I've been experiencing a significant decrease in frames when playing games such as Battlefield 3 and Skyrim on my laptop. This problem only occured after cleaning my laptop from Sirefef trojans (Thread for solved Sirefef issue: https://www.techspot.com/community/t...and-sirefef-y-laptop-keeps-restarting.182428/).

My laptop has the following specs:

• Windows 7 64-Bit OS (Professional)
  • Intel Core i7 (Dual Core)
  • 12GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeoForce GT540M (1GB)
I've always been able to play my games under 50 - 60 FPS, especially when my charger is plugged until now. I don't understand why this is no longer possible after the sirefef-trojan-cleaning-process.

What can I do to solve this issue?

I should also note that my games, particularly Battlefield 3, only runs at a dreadful 20 frames or less at the moment. This applies when my laptop is both charging or not charging​

Try formatting and re-installing Windows fresh. Most laptops have built-in factory restore options on boot up. Virus infections can leave nasty things behind or file damage even after they are "removed"

Are there any other alternatives to solve the low FPS (Frames Per Second) for my games? I personally prefer not to go through the hassle of formatting and reinstalling windows.

You could try a windows repair instead. ,This may help. But as Tmagic stated virus do leave file damage behind. You could also try uninstalling your video drivers then reinstalling in case they were corrupted. But in the long run . A reformat and reinstalling windows would work out better. GoodLuck.

Hi

I've finally decided to perform a factory-setting restore on my ASUS laptop to resolve my videogame-lag issues, however when I access the advanced recovery methods through the control panel, there's no option to select "Return your computer to factory condition". The only options avaliable for the advanced recovery methods are the following:

• Use a system image you created earlier to restore your computer
  • Reinstall Windows (requires Windows installation disc)
Clearly none of the above options are what I need. How can I get the "Return your computer to factory condition" option to appear?

Press F9 while the laptop is booting, This will open up the boot screen, Then select recover windows to factory settings an press enter. Press the y key three times, When ask if you are sure you want to restore. The laptop will then restore factory settings. After follow all onscreen instruction. Hope this helps!

There was no factory-setting option on the boot screen when I pressed F9. The only options avaliable on the boot screen were:

• Windows Setup (EMS Enabled)
  • Windows Memory Diagnostics

As for the Advanced Boot Options when I press F8, the following options include:

• Safe Mode
  • Safe Mode with Networking
  • Safe Mode with Command Prompt
  • Enable Boot Logging
  • Enable low-resolution video (640x480)
  • Last known good configuration (advanced)
  • Directory services restore mode
  • Debugging mode
  • Disable automatic restart on system failure
  • Disable driver signiture enforcement
  • Start windows normally

How can I make the factory-seting restore option appear?

1. Press F9 during boot up 2. select windows setup(EMS ENABLED) then press enter. 3. select the language you want to recover.
4.Read the ASUS preload wizard messages the click next. 5 Select a partition option. Recover windows to first partition only. or
Recover windows to the entire hd, or Recover windows to entire hd with two partitions. When you are done picking out the partition you want then click enter.( You might want to use the first partition option. As to not delete you recovery partition.)
6. Follow onscreen instruction to complete the recovery process. Hope this helps you out a little more.

Back