Laptop running very slow, 8 steps completed, logs attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Thanks in advance for the help... I've tried everything! I scan regularly (Norton antivirus), and all attempts at finding malware turn up nothing.

Anything you can do to help me would be greatly appreciated. I've completed the 8 steps, and will attach the three logs.

Doug Cannon

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    11.6 KB · Views: 5
What is the model of your Sony computer? How much memory are you running? Norton Internet Security will slow some computers down all by itself

Doug, the problem isn't malware- I checked the logs and there is none! (rare)

Your problem is because you have way too many programs and processes starting on boot, then running in the background. Once you've been running for a while, you gather more temporary internet files and that slow you down further.

You will find a lengthy thread here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58483.html

You will see Q&S about what slows a computer down. IF you need further help with this, post post in the Windows OS forum.

And if you look in the Add/Remove section of the Control Panel, you can see the many programs Sony preloaded on the VAIOs This will also include many Services set to automatic which don't need to be and many Startup that are unnecessary.

Thank you very much for the help. I will try removing these background processes. Others have suggested removing Norton Antivirus and using some of the freeware options. I will also do this.

Thanks again,
Doug

Doug, I'm not a big fan of the Symantec/Norton products. However, you paid for the program so maybe let it run until the subscription comes due, then change to standalone antivirus program and firewall.

IF you do decide to remove Norton:
Download this removal tool first: and save to your desktop.
Norton Removal Tool

Then download the new AV you want to use and also save it to the desktop:
Recommendations for free AV: Use only 1.
Download firewall and save to the desktop:
Recommendations for free firewall: Use only 1].
When those are downloaded:

Boot into Safe Mode
  • Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
  • Select the Safe Mode option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.

Double click the Norton Removal Tool to run it.

When finished: double-click the new AV to run it.

Reboot into Normal Mode- update the new AV.

Then follow same sequence to run and install the firewall> also on Safe Mode.

This way the system is protected. IF you want to add the firewall when through:
Download the firewall of your choice and save to your desktop.
Double click on the setup to run it. Follow onscreen directions.

Symantec products are expensive (compared to other better protection products) and they slowdown computer operations so badly. There is no need for 3rd party firewalls if Windows users keep Windows fully updated using Windows Update regularly, and install IE8 whether they use it or not

A bi-directional firewall is always better- whether Windows is kept updated or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back