TechSpot

Laptop sales top out desktop

By poertner_1274
Jul 3, 2003
  1. CNN states that laptop sales have finally clinched the top spot in retail computer sales with nearly 54% of the market.

I guess with mobile technology on the rise, now is as good a time as any to buy a laptop.

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

I had one got rid of it I prefer desktops. but then I dont have any business use for a laptop and for personal use I would rather have a computer I can work on and upgrade which pretty much leaves out laptops.

3. ill-frosty

ill-frosty TS Rookie

its just a fad. everyone will soon come back to where they belong. ;)

4. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,576   +268

What I would be interested to see is if this increase in laptop sales had had an impact on the hand held pc/palm sales. I've been caught between several worlds of Personal computing devices.

A laptop and Ericsson T68 work for me, but if I didn't have a laptop supplied by my work I might consider a 3rd generation mobile with pocketpc functionality. I'm not sure. But I know that a lot of my friends who work in computing now work on laptops just incase they have to travel for work. Seems to be a more common practice nowadays.

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

I have always wanted a laptop, would be so much easier to get real work done on my desk, right now my monitor and keyboard take up so much space I have to do my real work somewhere else. But the cost keeps me away.

I have a PDA as well but haven't used it in over a year, I feel bad to cause my parents got it for me as a gift and it was an expensive one back when I got it.

6. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

Maybe, with smaller processors and hard drives on the way, all PCs will be laptops that fit into docking stations.....

??

7. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 993

Thats possible P66. For instance cellphones in the past, they are really big, current models are much more smaller and contains more features. Miniaturization is the future.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.