TechSpot

Laptop shutting off suddenly

By Techmex
Jun 15, 2010
  1. Hello out there,

I have a Toshiba Satellite A100 series Laptop that keeps shutting off when windows starts. I am able to log in through safe mode and safe mode with network. But whenever I let the system start normally it shuts off. I have recently changed the battery. I got my new battery fully charged and had no problems starting the computer. I turned the computer on using battery power only and it worked till it ran out of juice. But again it has reverted to shutting off when I log into my account and I can't seem to charge the battery back up or get any power from the power supply.

Is this a connection problem with my power supply or is something wrong with my motherboard?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Techmex

Techmex TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ok. New information. Looks like if I start my system with the AC power only, it works. But if I start my system with battery then it shuts off and I cant get it to power up at all. Seems like there was a short and the system needs to wait a few minutes to re-boot. That's how I see it not what it's actually happening.
    If I start my laptop with only AC power and log in and then put the battery in, I can disconnect the AC and the battery takes over and everything is fine. I know it's bad to connect the battery once the system is on, but that's the only way I found it would work.

Any thoughts?

3. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

See if there is a recall on these batteries. Seriously, it happened with HP.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.