Laptop slow login

alexgoh

Hey all I kinda have this weird problem on my Dell. Whenever it boots up and reaches login screen and I type my password, windows doesn't seem to respond immediately. I type in my password and press enter and nothing happens. Only after a couple of seconds does windows login. I'm currently on windows 7 64bit and I've fully updated the software. I've also tried the registry edit thing that many websites have recommended but my problem still seems to persist.

Here is the laptop model and specs, by the way, this laptop was bought at my college IT fair.

Dell Vostro V3350

Intel i7-2620M
Intel Mobile HM67 Express Chipset
4Gb 1333 DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6470 512mb

Thanks in advance for your time!

First, stay away from registry editors/fixers. We have found here at TechSpot that they cause problems with little to no "fixing."

Set your laptop to a restore point prior to when this issue started. Or better yet, can your college IT department look it over for you?

Well, funny thing is, I've had this laptop for like 5 days? Lol. There's barely anything installed on it.

I reread your post. A delay in loading from password to desktop screen is normal. How many seconds are we talking here?

Well from the time I press the Enter key, it takes 1min 30s to get to the loading Welcome. After that it takes about another minute or so to get past the Welcome screen to the desktop.

Something isn't right with that, it should be much, much faster than that to hit Windows desktop and be usable on brand new OS install.

Try restoring to the earliest date, and then see what happens. Also, create another user, and then log in with that one and see if the issue persists.

Well from the time I press the Enter key, it takes 1min 30s to get to the loading Welcome. After that it takes about another minute or so to get past the Welcome screen to the desktop.

Okay then, yes, I agree with Leeky that something isn't right. Your original post said a couple of seconds.

Well, I don't really want to restore my OS as I've settings that were done by the college tech people to help setup the network settings etc. for the school's intranet system.

Well I seem to have noticed something; whenever I turn off my WiFi, the process goes to normal speed ie, no more 1min30s of waiting. Any ideas?

One other thing, under my network settings I notice this:
A0086*** (This Computer) ------------- stf.***.edu.** ----------------- internet

I see this even though i am connecting from a home wireless.
Moreover, i see my domain network to be that of my school; stf.***.edu.**

Ah, its the network configuration I'm willing to bet!

The delay is probably being caused by the laptop trying to find the network at your school/college when it logs into Windows. did they set it up to connect via wireless then?

It would explain why it has no issue when its turned off.

Back