Laptop start up problems

MysterioMask

I have a laptop, Gateway M-6864FX, running windows XP with 4gb ram. It was running fine and i shut it down one day, and attempted to start it up the next day. It appears to turn on properly, i can hear the fan running on some attempts to start it up, but i dont get any visuals on the monitor. Ive tried starting it with one stick of ram, no sticks of ram, no hard drive. I dont get any beeps or anything that shows up on the screen. I have attempted to plug a secondary monitor into it and start it up but i still dont seem to get anything on the 2ndary monitor. My cd drive opens and closes, and i see the harddrive symbol start up. Ive also tried to put my password in after giving it some time to start but I dont hear any start up music.

I have my own thoughts on whats wrong but id like some other opinions from some of you here before deciding my next course of action.

Someone suggested that it may be a back light problem with the monitor. But I think its the motherboard too. It was running fine though not acting funny or anything. Is random burnouts common?

Back