Laptop stuck in startup repair

By mom26gr8kids
Oct 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. My laptop keeps launching start-up repair over and over. It says it is repairing files but it only takes a couple minutes and then it restarts my computer and it just keeps doing this over and over for hours. I have Windows 7.

I have my laptop automatically scheduled to run a defrag on a regular basis and I have not had any blue screens, crashes or mini-dumps (though my kids sometimes use my laptop and may not tell me that, so I will double check with them today).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get Windows to boot in Safe mode so that I can run some diagnostics and try to figure out what's wrong? I can access the system recovery menu, but I have some files on my laptop I don't want to lose, so I don't want to reset it to factory default settings unless absolutely necessary.

I sure would appreciate any help in getting my laptop to start running again. It has been running a bit slow the past week, but like I said it hadn't given me any serious problems.

I did try to run checkdisk from the recover menu (from the command screen prompt) but it wouldn't let me. I did run the memory diagnostic tool (one of the options you can access from the system recovery) but it said it didn't find anything.
  2. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,700   +156

Shut the laptop down the do a startup and tap the f8 key, This should bring the safe mode menu up.
  3. mom26gr8kids

mom26gr8kids TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 379

The safe mode menu just keeps sending me into startup repair. Everything I click on sends me to the same screen over and over. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the computer to boot or run a checkdisk.
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,682   +153

It is probably a failing or corrupt hard drive... Defragging is not necessary any longer and it causes a hard drive to ware out faster. I use a Seagate Disk check CD and I boot a computer from it, to run disk checks outside of Windows. It is possible that the hard drive has failed it's SMART status, and it has been tripped. If a disk check shows that the SMART status has been tripped, it will have to be replaced...
    http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201951en
    Here are the instructions. You will need to do this disk creation on a working computer

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.