TechSpot

Laptop sudden lag

1. Hi all few days ago my laptop suddenly experience lag in everything except for sound output and the motion of the mouse cursor . It is the 1st time this laptop has ever lag so seriously .

My laptop is an ASUS A55VD with Intel Core i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.3GHz and 6GB RAM (5.89 usable) , it has windows 7 home premium 64-bit . The hard drive containing the OS still has 134GB of free space . Considering the specs above my laptop shouldn't have any problem with speed.

I usually use it to browse the internet , youtube , some gaming (Need for speed : Most Wanted 2012 & Shift , Crysis Warhead , Prototype and online games) for 10-12 hours straight . However overheating doesn't seem to be the factor of lagging as it even lags after just turning on the laptop .

I've tried shutting down and restarting several times and the interesting fact is that it doesn't actually lags until a few minutes after starting up . It also doesn't lag a bit when in safe mode . With that I eliminated the probability of hardware malfunction . I've run several antivirus checks and updated my nvidia driver but the lag is still persistent . Opening / closing a folder/ application , scrolling up and down a web page , even viewing a downloaded video also lags .

Windows Task Manager shows a reading of 12-16% of CPU usage and 49% physical memory being used with just the browser opened . Fraps shows a maximum 8fps when a video is playing.

With the details given above I hope someone could help me solve this annoying lag . Thanks in advance ! =D

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,872   +166

This type of "lag" can be caused by a virus or other type of malware infection...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.