Laptop suddenly shuts down a lot

Hey Techspot, I'm hoping you can help me out with a little problem I've started experiencing. I got a Lenovo G555 just last year, and everything's been going great with it so far. However, as of about a day ago it decides to start shutting down without any warning whatsoever. It seems that this happens at random also. Some times I can keep the laptop on overnight (I like to have videos playing while I sleep) with no problems, and other times it snaps off after not even 5 minutes. Thus I can't really finish a scan with avast! or malwarebites. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary either. I don't know if it's really overheating because I keep it in a similar environment as my Toshiba laptop that has remained on around the same amount of time with no overheating whatsoever. I'm running Windows 7 on my Lenovo.

EDIT: I thought that my problem was in fact overheating, so I cleaned the fan area with some compressed air. That seems to help a little bit, but my computer still has a tendency to shut down randomly, just a lot less frequently. I checked the temperature with SpeedFan, and upon startup my core temp is as high as 80C, then cools off to about 60C when I'm doing nothing. The thing that worries me is that SpeedFan can detect no RPMs from my fan. Fan1, Fan2, and Fan3 all show 0 RPMs in the program.

Chances are the thermal pads or the thermal paste on the CPU/video chip needs replacing
I've tried this, but my laptop still shuts down without warning, and again, at random. I've had periods where it shuts down after only about an hour, and other times when it stayed on for up to 3 hours before shutting down.

I know how to take apart my laptop. What seems to be the issue is that the fan fails to kick in when the temperatures get to this point. It will work for a little while (I can feel the warm air coming out from the grill on the side of the machine) but after a while it just doesn't start anymore.

I know how to take apart my laptop. What seems to be the issue is that the fan fails to kick in when the temperatures get to this point. It will work for a little while (I can feel the warm air coming out from the grill on the side of the machine) but after a while it just doesn't start anymore.

Well It looks like you just have a fan gone bad or bad connection from fan to motherboard. Thus your CPU is without proper cooling causing a thermal shutdown. Sounds like a simple solution would be replacing the fan with a new one. Before you do this.. make sure the fan is properly connected to your MOBO like Alen9331 mentioned.

Hello,

unfortunately I have same problem with my G55, may I ask you, have you solved that already?? Did you buy new fan? I really dont like overheating of my laptop during ordinary work, yesterday I used everest and it showed 96 celsia degrees on CPU and GPU. Then fan started to cool again for 3 minutes and shut down and temeperature started to raise again to 96.. Sorry for my english im not from english speaking country :) Thx for your reply

To do it via the Power Options, right click the battery icon (or electrical plug icon) in the lower left corner of the screen, then...

1. Select a power plan and then click "Change plan settings"
2. Click "Change Advanced Power Settings"
3. Look for "Processor power management" and expand it
4. Expand "Maximum processor state"

You can now enter the percentage usage of the CPU while on battery and plugged in.

Note that it does not work the way you think it would work. Meaning if you set the CPU to 90% it will run at 90% of the stock clockspeed. No... it's not like that. For example, my i5-2410m has a stock speed of 2.3GHz. Turbo boost overclocks it to as high as 2.9GHz when stressed.

100% = Turbo Boost on.
99% = Turbo Boost off. CPU runs at 2.3GHz
78% - 98% = 1.796GHz
69% - 77% = 1.596GHz
60% - 68% = 1.397GHz

So you get the picture.

Back