Laptop to TV no audio with VGA cord and y cable

By Blueeyes90
Dec 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys I have been trying to set up my tv so I can watch movies online... to say the least it is not going well.. I have been trying for over 2 hours and 2 trips to Best Buy to figure out why i have no sound on my tv.

My headphone jack does work.
    There is a picture due to the vga cable.
    I have a Y Cable plugged all in but no sound

Please someone help!!
  2. Adzbuck

Adzbuck Newcomer, in training

Hey, I've tried to set this up at one point.. VGA doesn't seem to give sound at least on some T.V's so if you have a sound input you could try:
    amazon [dot ] co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=vga+with+audio&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=8326471606&ref=pd_sl_2xe1bbnp3q_e

sor maybe you could get something like:
    electgadget [dot] co.uk/sg/index.html?s=3219F6825E2CD6CA31C2DE7A93A69CF9&p=51679ce3738a69b94d40325e0e3d57db&m=1324951106152&a=/products&categoryid=28&stockid=460

play [dot] com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/20708900/Trixes-HDMI-Male-To-VGA-Cable-1-8m/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:20708900|prd:20708900

However I don't with to take the blame if any of these don't work :D
  3. Blueeyes90

Blueeyes90 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Well i know that vga doesnt help with sound in any way but that is why i have a y cable... i plug it into my headphone jack than the red and white into the tv but it doesnt seem to work.. my sound works fine otherwise :( ugh!
  4. Adzbuck

I'm guessing you plugged your VGA into your t.v?
    So your T.V isn't looking for sound via the red and white input as the video isn't coming from that input..
    Have a look on the back of your tv see if there's a PC sound in socket..
    or see if you can change the sound input from you t.v menu
  5. Blueeyes90

Blueeyes90 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I did try the pc outlet in the back maybe my tv is just to old... :( on my computer I dont have a playback device except for my speakers maybe that is the problem? This really sucks!
  6. Adzbuck

Well, if it has an a jack pc input you could just get a double male A jack cable and then use your tv as speakers..
    I can't see why that wouldn't work however i may be stood corrected
  7. xaqmusic

xaqmusic Newcomer, in training

Just remember VGA and audio are completely separate;

1) If you connect your VGA cable to your TV then your TV will expect audio to appear on that same input group.

2) Connect your Y cable (1/8" stereo jack to 2 RCA plugs) from your headphone jack to the TV's VGA audio input.

3) If you have picture but no sound check your computer's headphone jack with a pair of headphones to be sure audio is coming out. If there is no sound coming from your laptop check your Windows Sound Settings in Control Panel to be sure the headphone output (if it is separate) is set to the Default Playback Device.
  8. scrutables

scrutables Newcomer, in training

Hey guys- I'm having the same issue, have tried all of the above and it doesn't work. thoughts?
  9. nismo91

nismo91 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 999   +11

can you double check whether you have plugged it into the correct "PC Audio IN" at the rear of the TV? some people mistake that port for another audio input, say Component Audio or even Audio Out. if you're unsure, just take a picture of the back of the TV
  10. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

There is usually no sound associated with VGA. What is the make & model number of your TV?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.