Laptop to TV - trouble using s-video scart

By louisewalshe
Dec 21, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi guys

Sorry I've searched through the other threads but can't find a way to make this work. Here's the current setup:

• there is an s-video port on my laptop
    • I have an s-video cable going from the laptop to a scart AV
    • next, I have a stereo mini-jack adapter plugged into headphone output of laptop, connected to this is an RCA cable
    • the other end of the RCA cable connects to the scart
    • the scart is plugged into the back of the TV

I have several AV channels available on my TV (EXT-1, EXT-2, EXT-2 S, BAV, HDMI and YPbPr). On each of these I can switch between default (stereo), Dual I or Dual II.

What I've done so far is use the N-Videa control panel to force TV detection, then restarted my laptop and from the cp selected clone, so that my laptop and TV should both be displaying my laptop screen. I switched between all the AV channels but still sign of my laptop on any of them.

Another thread suggested keeping the TV on the desired channel and restarting the computer. I tried this also but still nothing.

If anyone could offer any other suggestions it would be much appreciated, this stuff is fairly new to me!
  2. EDO219

EDO219 Newcomer, in training Posts: 298

Whoa ... a laptop with an S-Video output and a TV that uses SCART. That's a combination I personally don't see very often.

Instead of your laptop, try connecting something simple to the same AV on your SCART such as a DVD player or a game system. Whether or not that works will tell you if the issue lies with your TV or your laptop.

There might be little labels above the F keys on your laptop. Once I had a VAIO that would only output to another display if I held down Fn and pressed a specific F key. The Windows menus wouldn't do anything, strangely.
  3. nismo91

nismo91 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 989   +6

same problem with a vaio fe notebook (geforce go 7600) since few years back. gave up.

-add

btw im not sure if this thing worked but i saw this "VGA to Component" cable before. I was about to purchase it until the staff told me it will not work. weird, so i did not buy it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.