Laptop touchpad issues

By grace
Jan 17, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laptop is an advent 4401.

So, I've got problems with my touchpad, in as much as it doesn't work. To make it work I have to go into the device manager and uninstall the 'Synaptics PS/2 Port Pointing Device', then restart and it works fine. Only problem is Windows automatically detects it when you restart and the next time you restart it finishes the installation and then the touchpad doesn't work again.

I can't disable, only uninstall. I can disable it through the mouse options in Control Panel but that doesn't make any difference. I've tried using updated synaptic touchpad drivers and none at all (just the generic one's Windows installs), even did a fresh install of XP (I'm giving it to my dad anyway), but that didn't make any difference either.

The BIOS is pretty limited and there is nothing resembling legacy USB support so I can't turn that off.

I also found two files under Driver Details through Device manager; C:..WINDOWS..system32..drivers..i8042prt.sys and C:..WINDOWS..system32..drivers..mouclass.sys, deleted both of those files (just to see if it would make any difference), but it didn't do anything. As soon as you restart it doesn't work again.

I'm getting around it at the moment by disabling the plug and play service, but that's not a fix (my dad will be mainly using it for watching movies and tv on the go, so needs the plug and play functionality for external devices).

The laptop is fairly new (a few months), and I haven't even been using it (the touchpad) for like 2-3 months, it's been on my desk being used with synergy and my normal mouse/keyboard. I only noticed it didn't work when I went to take it somewhere the other day and I couldn't use the touchpad.

That's why I wasn't too bothered about reinstalling XP, as I thought maybe the synergy installation had messed with it somehow, but even after a fresh install it's the same.

The touchpad works, just not when Windows installs what it wants to to get it to work, if I could somehow stop just the auto update for the touchpad it would be fine.

Any thoughts?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Yes, confirm all your Drivers are up to date
    Have a look here for that: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic117607.html

Edit: oh I missed that : "advent 4401" I'll edit again ;)

Hmm. Found this only on quick search: http://support.thetechguys.com/layout.aspx?ID={6ec3d13c-dc6b-4cd5-b897-d707f40b9e90}&CatID={1179e22e-ff9a-49e2-b417-e077ef0bca62}

They seem to have an Unofficial forum too: http://www.w00tw00t.co.uk/support/
  3. CCT

CCT Newcomer, in training Posts: 3,556

You usually get the option to select a choice that says 'do not use this device (disable)' in the device properties section.

Do you see that?
  4. grace

grace Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 28

-----------------------

5. CCT

If the Synaptic drivers show in add/remove, remove them. Anything related.
  6. grace

I've removed all the drivers and everything related .
  7. CCT

When? Now? Before?
  8. grace

Before, there is currently no synaptics touchpad driver installed.
  9. CCT

So, with no drivers other than the Windows generic ones, you still have this problem?

See, you said 'the next time you restart it finishes the installation and then the touchpad doesn't work again' so I am not sure what installation it is finishing if the only drivers available are the generic XP ones.
  10. grace

Ok, here's exactly what happens.

Boot up the laptop, touchpad doesn't work, go to Device manager and uninstall 'PS/2 compatible mouse', restart the laptop and the touchpad works. However, you get the 'Windows has detected and installed new hardware...' nonsense in the system tray pop up, 'Your device may not work properly until you restart your computer...', or words to that effect. And it asks you to restart, after that restart the touchpad doesn't work again.

The only way I have got it to work is to uninstall 'PS/2 compatible mouse', then disable the plug and play service (to prevent it from auto detecting), and THEN restart the laptop, and the touchpad then works fine and nothing is detected, you can restart as much as you want. But this obviously cripples all everything else that depends on plug and play, which is no good.
  11. CCT

And you tried 'update driver'?

12. grace

Yes, I have.
  13. CCT

OK - then try a 'rollback' and see what happens.
  14. grace

Already tried that too, no good.
  15. CCT

Try a pnp set to manual in Admin Services.
  16. grace

Already tried that too, still detects and installs the hardware.
  17. coalfire

coalfire Newcomer, in training Posts: 43

Try rolling back to this driver http://www.pct.com.tw/en/Support.asp?id=135 It is mainly a fix for scrolling issues with synaptics touchpads (alot of newer versions can have trouble for some people but not others) but is worth a try in you're case as nothing else seems to be working
  18. grace

The requested page could not be found. :(

The link you provided goes to a page, but the link on that page gives the above response.

19. CCT

After a reboot, if you press FN+F7 does it work?
  20. grace

No, that's one of the brightness function keys.
  21. CCT

From what I gather, many comps so equipped have a FN + (??) setting to disable the touchpad since it can play havoc with typing.

Out if ideas anyway. gl to you
  22. grace

No worries dude, appreciate the attempt to help. It's got me stumped, pretty sure I've tried most things to get it to work properly.

If anyone's got any further suggestions, bring 'em on.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.