Laptop will no longer boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenSurridge

My daughter's Fujitsu laptop was working fine til yesterday when it now will not boot up correctly. It comes up with the screen saying Windows shutdown abnormally and to restart using last known configuration, or in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt etc. Selecting anyone of these options starts to boot and then a blue screen with writing is very briefly displayed (too quick to read) and it then reboots and again and back to the Windows shutdown abnormally screen and just keeps going round in circles. I can get to the BIOS setup screen but can't do anything to get it to reboot. Please can anyone help? Desperately need to get it up and working! Many thanks.

I think you are using windows XP, boot from your XP cd, and enter recovery console, log on your XP installation and type chkdsk /r

You might be able to find the cause by checking the Event Viewer for Error that corresponds to the time you get the message:

Try to do this deliberately:
Boot into Safe Mode
  • Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
  • Select the Safe Mode option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:

• [1]. Click to open the log>
    [2]. Look for the Error>
    [3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
    [4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
    [5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
    [6].NOTES
  • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
  • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
  • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
  • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock when message is displayed.

A note about Errors in Safe Mode: Some processes don't load when in Safe Mode, so for now, ignore Errors that say "xxx doesn't start in Safe Mode" or the list of drivers saying they couldn't start at boot.

Understand that I want YOU to boot into Safe Mode, not let the computer automatically choose to do it. This might not make any difference, but give it a try.

If a symptom does not reappear when you start in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and minimum device drivers as possible causes. If a newly added device or a changed driver is causing problems, you can use safe mode to remove the device or reverse the change.

Using Safe Mode to determine a basic source of a problem:The choices:
  • Safe Mode: Loads the minimum set of device drivers (serial or PS/2 mouse devices, standard keyboards, hard disks, CD-ROM drives, and standard VGA devices)and system services required to start Windows XP/2000/2003.(Event Log, Plug and Play, remote procedure calls (RPCs), and Logical Disk Manager.) User specific startup programs do not run. This is helpful in determining whether problems are due to specific programs.
  • Safe Mode with Networking: Includes the services and drivers needed for network connectivity. Safe mode with networking enables logging on to the network, logon scripts, security, and Group Policy settings. Nonessential services and startup programs not related to networking do not run. Helpful if needed but should be used with caution as the security programs don't load in this mode.
  • Safe Mode with Command Prompt: Starts the computer in safe mode, but displays the command prompt rather than the Windows GUI interface.
  • Last Known Good Configuration, which starts your computer using the registry information that was saved at the last shutdown.

So by using the different options of Safe Mode, you can sometimes determine what the area of problem is- and isn't.

Fixed by using chkdsk /r

Many thanks for your replies. I managed to get hold of a copy of Windows XP install disc (had mislaid mine!) and booted up via that and did the chkdsk /r option from the Repair console. It took over 12 hours, but found several errors and repaired them. I rebooted and selected last know configuration and it went into Windows no problem. Hurrah!!! Thanks again.

Yeah! Up and working! You might want to save or print out the information about the Safe Mode selections.

Done it again, and this time chkdsk /r wont work :(

Me again! The laptop will not boot up again! I have tried the repair console and chkdsk /r, but it gives me the message CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery 3 times, then it starts and gets to 3% before it comes up with

The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

Is there anything else I can try? I am desperate to get to Christmas when we are buying a new one and really wont to get all the pictures/docs off before then.

Pleeeeeaaaaaasssssseeeee can anyone help???????

The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

The error it then comes up with is 'The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. '

OK don't worry about the partitions. There is a possibility that the hard disk is faulty :(. Try chkdsk /f . If it doesn't work, do another windows installation. I mean do a dual boot. post back when you are done.

I couldn't do a chkdsk /f only acceptable parameters are /p or /r
I couldn't reinstall Windows XP - I had a disk but it told me that a copy of Windows wasn't already on the machine (when it certainly was!) and when I tried again it told me it wasn't a Windows disk! Anything else I can try? Thank you

Either your drive is faulty or you are missing some critical files in your windows installation. Can you try installing windows in another partition? just to see if its the HDD or the installation. To do this:
Go to, install a fresh copy of windows(press enter), then choose another drive instead of the c: drive. If it installs, then your HDD is good.

Cannot find a previous version

I have a valid XP installation disk and it goes through and asks me to agree the license agreement etc, however it then comes up with:
'Setup cannot find a previous version of Windows installed on your computer. To continue, Setup needs to verify that you qualify to use this product' It then goes on to ask me to insert a valid disk etc. Looking at the disk it does say Windows XP Home Edition, Upgrade - could that be my problem? Windows XP was definitely on there before!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back