Laptop will not connect to the internet using Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
My laptop will no longer connect to the internet using wireless.
I have had it for two years now, and have never encountered the problem before.
I'm not sure what to do to try and get it working again?

The laptop "says" that "This computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and configured"..... but it has worked for about a year, and I haven't changed any settings...

Thanks.... sorry for lack of detail...

Hi NJJB92,

Have you tried connecting it via ethernet cable? Does it connect properly.

Check in device manager to see if it is listed there

Start > Right click on My Computer > Manage > Device Manager

It should be listed under 'Network adapters'. Check to make sure there is no yellow Question Mark beside it (list will be expanded if so).

The next step may be to reinstall the device itself. Let me know how you get on and myself or someone else can assist you on the next steps as to what info you find.

Take care!

Thanks for the reply....

It works fine with the cable.

I went into the device manager, and there is no question mark next to it...

What do I do next?

Thank you for the response.

Even if there's no question mark (or exclamation mark) next to it in device manager it wouldn't hurt to reinstall the drivers as was mentioned in an earlier post. Drivers can be funny things sometimes.

And I agree with fastco that a usb wireless device may be a good way if it continues to not function and you need a quick fix. However Installing a new wireless card in a laptop may be a bit of a problem though as they're normally soldered onto the motherboard, something that even a very advanced user could mess up horribly.

"I went into the device manager, and there is no question mark next to it..."
I'm confused does this mean that device manager picked the wireless up? Because earlier you said that "This computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and configured"

I have changed numerous mini pci cards in laptops and they are not usually soldered in. In my experience anyway.

My laptop will no longer connect to the internet using wireless.
I have had it for two years now, and have never encountered the problem before.
I'm not sure what to do to try and get it working again?

The laptop "says" that "This computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and configured"..... but it has worked for about a year, and I haven't changed any settings...

Thanks.... sorry for lack of detail...

Had a similar problem and discovered that my new router (Actiontec) had wireless networking protocol options in its setup as follows:
802.11b only
802.11g only
both 802.11b and g (recomended and default)

My 4 year old Thinkpad could deal with 802.11b, but not with the offered combination, and was not connecting to the network,

As soon as I set up the router to use 802.11b alone, all worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back