Laptop will only connect to my network when PS3 is on

Hi everyone,

I have had a PS3 for years and it has always connected to my sky network fine. Last week i bought a new laptop and it initially connected to my network and allowed me to access the internet fine. However since then ive noticed (and ive checked this 100 times to make sure) that my laptop will only connect to the network when my PS3 is turned on. My housemates laptop connects to the network fine though. Ive double checked all network keys, ive reset the router several times, ive disabled and then enabled the network card, however I still cannot connect to the network without having the PS3 turned on. my ps3 happens to be in the same room as my laptop when im having this problem, however, moving closer to the router does not fix this problem

Does any one have any information or ideas? Im gutted about not being able to use my laptop!!

Thank you in advance!

strange for sure - -

How does the laptop connect to the router (wired v. wireless) and likewise for the PS3?

What router/modem make & Model number are you using and from what ISP do you get service?

thanks for your comment.

Both laptop and PS3 are connected to the router via wireless connection. My ISP is Sky and they also provide their own brand modem/router.

Today, no further progress. Some suggestions that firewall may be stopping connection to the internet, however, I have just turned the firewall off and this did not solve anything.I find it so strange how turning on my PS3 solves this issue! Today ive checked that there isnt any media sharing going on between PS3 and laptop which may indicate why this works. Still baffled!

I do realize that this is 2 years old, but I am surfig the web, trying to solve my problem, which is very similar to this - stationary PC will only have a stable connection when laptop is connected - blows my mind. How can that possibly work.

First, start a new thread for yourself and let this one die of old age.
I'll pickup the new one and we'll work on it together.

Back