Laptop will start up but screen stays black, not a computer amateur but need help!

I am attempting to remove a virus from a friend's toshiba a505-s69803 laptop.. in the transportation process i spilt a bit of water on the laptop but i do not think it effected the computer, because i was able to use the computer for days afterwards.. while trying to remove the virus in safe mode the computer would not let me run any anti-malware programs, and then subsequently shut down... now, when i try to start up the computer the keyboard lights turn on and the disc drives and fans begin working, but the screen remains blank... there are no signal beeps to indicate a hardware malfunction, and the three of the five lights on the front of the laptop (3 on the left side) are on... ive tried all the troubleshooting techniques on the forums, i.e. removing the battery and running on ac power, and vice versa, holding down the power button for 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min, and 2 mins, all to no avail.. another computer savvy friend of mine said that some of these new viruses are smart enough to write itself to the bios which would prevent the computer from starting up... he recommended flashing the bios, but i do not know how to do so on a black screen, or if it might have been the water damage that may be causing a hardware problem (im thinking motherboad or video card if so)... any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

These new viruses are truly evil... and wide spread. We have had over 30 cases since Wednesday... all doing what you describe.

But the Toshiba is also infamous for having the screen inverter go bad... cheap to replace but darn difficult to get at quickly.

Can you connect an external monitor to the VGA port on the back of the Toshiba to see what you get there?

Yeah I agree ab the virus issue, and I've tried connecting an external monitor via the VGA port, and it didn't pick it up.. Black on both screens.. But I am capable of taking apart and rebuilding laptops, is that inverter something I could get off newegg.com or a similar site??

Toshiba inverters are often found on eBay... $$6.98 to $12.98, and shipped quickly. Also available from Toshiba for about $40

Back