Laptop wireless help required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to be having some trouble and am confused.
I recently purchased a laptop - this is my only computer. I installed DSL Internet, but I don't quite understand how to make this completely wireless. I know this is probably a stupid question, but I could really use some help.

no problem, have you purchased a wireless router? if not, you should look into what range of wireless access you need. i would recomend a Linksys WRT54G router. also, who is you ISP?

Yes I have a wireless router. I have Verizon DSL. I am just confused b/c it seems the ethernet wire needs to be connected from the router to the laptop. If I unplug it I have no Internet access.

Thank you so much - I appreciate any help you can give me.

The wireless router needs to be connected to your DSL modem. This modem wire goes into the WAN port of the router. You should have a setup CD that came with the wireless router. Put this CD into your laptop and run the setup program. Follow the on-screen instructions for setting up a secure connection. The setup will ask you to supply a KEY or password. Write this password down. After you complete the setup, the setup program will tell you that the wireless connection is active and connected. You will now be able to go online with the laptop

My problem isn't getting onto the Internet. I am just wondering how I can use my laptop anywhere in my home if I have to have the ethernet wire connected from the router to the laptop. The main reason I purchased the laptop was for this very reason - I didn't want to be stuck in one spot.
Again thanks for all your help.

I'm confused... If you connect to the Internet wirelessly, you and your laptop can move anywhere in your home and even outside without having a wire attached. Wireless means just that. Your DSL modem isn't wireless is it? Your laptop has to know what frequency the wireless router is set at, in order to communicate with it

I'm not understanding this eather, so what you are saying is that you have internet access when the laptop is pluged into the router? Is your DSL modem connected to your router? all you need to do then is open up Control Panel, then Network and Internet Connections, then Network Connections. double click on wireless networ connection, then click the botton that says view avaliable wireless networks. your router name should appear on the list, and if it doesn't, click Refresh Network list. chose your router and click the connect botton. that should allow you to connect to your router wirelessly. if you have a security key, such as a WEP, you need to enter that.

hope this helps.

I second noleson, i don't understand both of you, but IMO, amyk need to know how to turn on and configure his wireless in laptop. So noleson was correct, turn on wireless switch, go to wireless icon in toolbar (nowadays using intel wireless software) and set...

Everybody is right!!! Absolutely!!! But those ideas just general...amyk.You should setup your device-router.... specially!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back